HP Fuel pump debris

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My HP fuel pump has started to whine, it is mounted on the top of the "Vapour Reduction Tank" at the rear of my VP 5.0 Gi PWTR.

I have removed it and cleaned the debris from gauze filter 4 times now. I have also replaced the 8 micron filter/water separator that feeds the LP pump, Out of interest I cut the 12 hours old filter in half but found no sign of any contamination.

I suspected that the hose from LP pump to VRT might have been breaking down, but on inspection I find that it is PTFE lined not rubber so that was ruled out.

Now I can only suspect the VRT must be the cause. The debris is very much like sand with tiny bits of metal.that attaches to the tip of my screwdriver. SEE BELOW, the little red bit are bits of the viton "O" ring that the banjo bolt chews off.

As the VRT is no longer available or the overhaul kit from VP, I am reluctant to pull it apart.

Has anyone any experience of converting to the later combined pumps and filter unit Part No.3588865 along with the support bracket PartNo 3861031 ?

Attachments

• photo319345.jpg
    photo319345.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 0

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would still like to hear of anyone who has done the modification to the newer combined pumps and filter.