How's the Cabin Fever?

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Read in my Paper you blokes been getting a bit of white cold stuff.
Spare a thought for us - today my thermometer hit 44C (? over 110F).
Been hot since Xmas.
We got the days pick and pack done by mid-day. It was 41C and thought that would be it. At 2.30, 44C.
It's not pleasant. Been a struggle keeping everything alive, and just when I really had to rely on an old dodgy irrigation system, it didn't miss a beat. So thankful!!.
Lost a bit of stock but nothing too serious- I hope.
(If it could just stay around 20+C at night and 30+C during the day, with 1" of rain per week, life would be a breeze).
Cheers
Phillip

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How's the Cabin Fever?

Right now it is -29C here in VT where I am. Get the picture!!

oldjeep

Admiral

Cabin fever? It is winter, you just dress warmer and switch to a different type of skiing ;)

angus63

Captain

It's 9am on a Sat morn and I am responding. That should tell you everything! : )

southkogs

Staff member

I'll be a while deciding if I want the near 0?F temps or the 110? temps … Mid-Spring sounds kinda' nice.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Still snowing here...a balmy 24˚ Started at about 6:00am. The cabin fever will be fine if all my project material gets here soon (vinyl, servo-motor, thread), otherwise, I'm gonna drive the wife nuts (let's be honest, after 9 years of marriage too me, one could simply putt that!)
Brrrr!

~Brett

bassman284

Commander

I'll be a while deciding if I want the near 0?F temps or the 110? temps … Mid-Spring sounds kinda' nice.

Yeah, kind of cabin bound either way although I would be more likely/willing to step outside when it's hot. We had several days over 100? last summer and I went out in it some, but I noticed that I didn't do much.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Phil, good to see ya. Man, I didn't think it got that hot. Extended? Humidity? Hope all are well!

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I rebuild tube amps to pass the time. Just finished a 1964 Dynaco ST-70 last week.
Its -52 today and I just don't feel like going anywhere.

aspeck

Staff member

I am going fishing in a few days ... Not bad here ... Have been out on the water duck and geese hunting, so, no cabin fever here ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Way too much winter ahead of us to get cabin fever yet. I'm waiting for it to warm up so I can go snowmobiling......

Tyme2fish

Commander

The forecast is for -7 F here tonight but it's still +39 F. so far.

I gathered up all my spinner bait boxes and went thru them adding skirts to the ones that needed them and sharpened all the hooks. I guess that qualifies as a cabin fever sort of thing.

We heat with wood and have the inside wood rack full, the attached garage has two ricks stacked up, and I've got the basement wood stove ready to fire up once the temps start to really drop.

In the mean time I'm enjoying all the bowl games for college football and watching the NFL playoffs.

DayCruiser

Ensign

You watch TV and see these people who can afford to live in the Caribbean and other tropical places for the winter. They make me sick! Just kidding rich people

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You watch TV and see these people who can afford to live in the Caribbean and other tropical places for the winter. They make me sick! Just kidding rich people

Don't be dismayed - wife and I considering buying a house in a "cool climate" so we can get away from the heat of our summers. It has to be in the Southern Hemisphere - we want a "cooler summer".

To answer your questions QC - the heat is not extended. A once in '1 to maybe 3' year event. Builds up over a week or so. Fortunately there were bushfires to the East of us (on an Island) and the smoke blanked out the sun dropping temp to mid 30's, - a relief. A southerly moved in bringing high cloud (mid 30C) up to today. Remember, our Southerlies bring 'cool' while northerlies 'warmth'. Humidity is very high, and that is the real problem.

My sheds and packing areas are steel with 100x100mm (4x4?) gal posts. We tried to grab them with our hands (one's in shade). Couldn't count to 3 before having to quickly let them go. You just couldn't touch the gal handrails on the steps (in full sun).

Just the opposite to you guys really. You wouldn't grab a steel post with bare hands in your freeze.

Cheers
Phillip

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Phil, not sure you wanted to go that far, or that cool, but I have fallen in love with Tassie. Check out St. Helens on George's Bay. Say hey to all for me. Hope Jr. has stuck to guitar.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Phil, Does this answer your question!?...

a.baa-huge-amount-of-snow.jpgCanadian_snow.jpg

Splat

Lieutenant

Or a different kind of fish. I've been working on my aquariums. Got both my freshwater cichlid tank, and my reef tank replumbed. Also got my rack built for my fry tanks, working on my plumbing for that now. As long as you keep busy......