How's everyone stowing their towables while cruising on the water

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 70's Starcraft 16' bowrider is good enough in size for our family, but when we bring our Airhead towable (it has the fins underneath) it really gets in our way when we're just cruising around the lake.<br /><br />I thought about puting it on top of the bimini top but we don't always have it up.<br /><br />I wish there's a bracket of some kind to mount next to the outboard motor on the transome. Any company that makes something like this?<br /><br />.

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: How's everyone stowing their towables while cruising on the water

Is your Starcraft outboard powered or I/O? If I/O you could use one of these maybe. I have to deflate mine or take it to shore as my boat is outboard powered. The Tube Handlers are sold at lots of watersports places. Bart's is just the site I chose to show you the product.<br /><br />Sorry, just noticed you have outboard power. Maybe you could stand the tube on end and tie two of the handles to your rear cleats (assuming you have them).

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pre-Tower we did somthing similar to what Sangerwaker posted. However, we just used a couple of quick clip straps from REI, and we positioned the tubes on one corner of the back with the straps attached to the side cleat and rear handle. Ours is an I/O, But if i remember right, I think there would have been enough room for an O/B to work....

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I stow mine deflated in a sport bag in the floor ski locker, in the bag I keep a 12volt inflater, looks sort like a hair drier, It only takes a couple on minutes to inflate the big bertha tube, when done I let is dry and deflate and pack back into the bag.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Northern Eclipse knows the deal. I do the same. Inflate with 12V inflator. Tube for a while, deflate, cruise awhile, re-inflate, tube some more, deflate, head back to port.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Depending on how many people are around, we fill a laundry soap bottle with sand or stones and water. Use it as a towable anchor then anchor it near shore where there is no houses and out of the way of tubers.<br /><br />DougV>

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I have a large 3 person Seadoo tube. It rides on the top/back of my 16 ft I/O boat and partially in the boat (it's very large = 92" wide and long). I too anchor it off on the side when we want to knee board. Of course, I keep it within eye sight. Deflating mine and reflating takes quite a bit of time even with the 12 volt high volume pump. I keep mine inflated all season and only deflate it we trailer our boat on the highway where I want the covers on the boat.

flashback

Captain

Thats why I like a cuddy cabin :)

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Remember when inflating towables with 12V pumps, do the major part of the inflating w/o the valve installed. Then put in half of the boston valve and get it up to pressure. Saves tons of time.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I'm also contemplating on just towing the darn thing around. Is there a law that says an unattended towable cannot be towed with most of the rope pulled in?<br /><br />.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have the 3 person sea doo tube as well. I have tried towing it empty with a shortened rope. At even moderate speed the wake of the boat causes it either to fill with water or flip over. <br /><br />Neither has good results. I dont know about the laws but we have not found a good way to do that yet. We end up pulling it in over the sun pad and just hold onto it while we go in.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

reference,<br />Yeh I guess it would be flopping around near the wake area. I thought about leaving all the rope out like i'm really towing it but would probably look wierd. Also if I keep the rope out is that against the law or rule?<br /><br />.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We tried leaving it all the way out too. It acted like a kite with no weight in it. Made an interesting site for a couple of minutes until we slowed down and pulled it in. :eek: