How would I go about putting in a casting deck where a bench once was?

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off, I should say that I need to quit looking at other peoples boats. Every time I do, I get more ideas for mine when I finally tear into it.

This one however, has been at the back of my mind for some time:

I want to lose the bench up front, and replace it with a casting deck.

First of all, how hard is this going to be? I figure the front bench is going to be out anyway to do the floor, why not just shorten it up, and stretch it out? shouldn't be that tough...right. ;)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done that before, and what I should expect should this be the route that I take. Aside from bending up some sheet metal and cutting some wood, what else should I be afraid of?

Threw some pics at the bottom. First one is my boat, second is what I'm shooting for.

One last thing....these seats...100$ shipped to my door for each one that I want...good deal? Should I jump on it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=250565769751

Eric

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
  • casting platform.jpg
    casting platform.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How would I go about putting in a casting deck where a bench once was?

Sure you can add a casting deck......

Make sure it is lower than the bench seat height to maintain good center of gravity and stability...

Mount a sheet of sealed exterior plywood (not pressure treated) on a frame made of aluminum (scrap from a junk yard works great) or wood........

Remove the bench seat....... maybe even add some flotation below the deck for safety.......

Read through the completed project section for aluminum boat ideas on the build.

The seats are ebay are the same ones iboats sells for about the same price......... I would place my trust in iboats customer service ahead of anyone else in case there was a problem..... Check out the iboats store.