How to wrap carpet on side bunks

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone know of a link that shows how to wrap carpet on side bunks?

I'm building custom side bunks for my jon boat with the 2x4 post that holds the side bunks extending up above the boat to hold the tail lights. That will give me side bunks plus get the tail lights out of the water.

Have found numerous youtube videos on how to wrap carpet on the floor bunks but have not been able to find how to wrap carpet on side bunks. Carpet on side bunks go completely around the 2x4 and the exposed seam should be on the bottom of the side bunk. How to properly wrap the carpet at the ends is the challenge.

Thanks for any tips.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just like wrapping a christmas present, I let my wife wrap and I just hand her the tape....err in this case I handle the staple gun

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Airshot, Scott and Mike,

Appreciate your input. I used pieces of paper and tried different ways of wrapping the end of a 2x4 side bunk with the seam on the 1.5" bottom side. I came up with a method that will work. Thanks.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just like wrapping a christmas present, I let my wife wrap and I just hand her the tape....err in this case I handle the staple gun
With further test wrapping with pieces of paper on the 2x4 side bunk, I now see what you mean. Wrapping like a christmas present negates cutting the carpet right up to the 2x4 so less chance of tearing the carpet at the cut points with prolonged use.

I'll have to test further using actual carpet instead of paper after I buy the bunk carpet.

Thanks.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I left mine bare wood on bottom and side bunks. Steel sitting against wet carpet for most of the summer is a bad idea. Maybe you don't have steel.3DBD5DEC-D7C8-4C9A-A985-F39D8758ADAE.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Leaving an open side/ bottom is a great idea to let the water evaporate out of the wood. Retaining all that water will shorten the life of the wood, that is how I have wrapped all my wood in the past.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I left mine bare wood on bottom and side bunks. Steel sitting against wet carpet for most of the summer is a bad idea. Maybe you don't have steel.View attachment 369508
Nice picture! First time I've seen bare wood exposed on side bunks. Never saw that in my many hours of my Googling.

My side bunks will be homemade out of 2x4's out of necessity. My DIY jon boat has straight vertical sides so my side bunks need to be vertical as well. The metal support "L" brackets in side bunk kits I've seen on Amazon are angled so the bunks slant outward.

So my side bunks will be mounted on vertical 2x4's, not steel.

Thanks.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Leaving an open side/ bottom is a great idea to let the water evaporate out of the wood. Retaining all that water will shorten the life of the wood, that is how I have wrapped all my wood in the past.
I'm going to put two coats of epoxy resin on my side bunks. The side bunks will be about midway up on the sides of the boat so will mostly be out of the water except for wave action. Plus the short duration should not soak the 2x4 wood in the side bunks.

Thanks.