how to wire a 2 amp audio setup

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how to wire a 2 amp audio setup

The output impedance of the head unit is 10K ohms. The input impedance of the amplifier is also 10K ohms.

If the output is connected to a wye splitter as-shown, then the head unit will "see" a 5K ohm amplifier impedance instead of the expected 10K ohm amplifier impedance.

It might not hurt the head unit. It will probably change the volume at a given setting.

An amplifier with a pass-though will buffer the signal, so the impedance remains intact.

dane112

Cadet

what do you mean change the volume at a given setting, it wont sound as good? would i wire a pass through amp just the same?

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you mean change the volume at a given setting, it wont sound as good? would i wire a pass through amp just the same?

A passthrough amp simply has another RCA output on the amplifier. You would run that output from Amp 1 to Amp 2 and omit the splitter.

The setup I diagrammed will run fine. You may notice a slight volume difference on speakers 5 and 6 - simply adjust the gains on Amp 2 until it's right. Realistically, a line level signal is not going to hurt anything. If you particularly want to invest in another amplifier, then a passthrough would be technically superior, but realistically the same net result.

dane112

Cadet

well being completely honest... i dont need something thats going to cause ripples from the side of my boat... i just want a sound system that sounds nice and clear lol. also i have one other question. on my Rockford Fosgate Marine full range coax m282B speakers it has 4 terminals, 2 + and 2 -... it has one big + and one big - , and 2 small.... how would you suggest these are wired? would you wire the big terminals for the speakers and the little would be for additional tweeters?

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

well being completely honest... i dont need something thats going to cause ripples from the side of my boat... i just want a sound system that sounds nice and clear lol. also i have one other question. on my Rockford Fosgate Marine full range coax m282B speakers it has 4 terminals, 2 + and 2 -... it has one big + and one big - , and 2 small.... how would you suggest these are wired? would you wire the big terminals for the speakers and the little would be for additional tweeters?

Wire them as the manual states; I would guess that the big terminals are the primary inputs. The second set is to add an optional additional tweeter.

That system will sound fantastic, FYI. I am driving 4 Polk MM651s at 85w apiece and they are loud as hell. I don't know what sub you have but it will probably be underdriven with a 200w bridged channel. If you end up buying another amp, I'd get a class D mono amp and rip on that sub... but that's just me personally :D

dane112

Cadet

the manuals are very poor and not clear, it just says put them in the negative and minus and the other two are for additional tweeters basically... im going to be running a Rockford Fosgate 12 inch 400 RMS.. or it may be 300, not too sure. but i was guessing if i bridged two to make it 200 watts it would sound pretty good too? i may invest in a mono later on too.. if it doesnt sound great. also another question for ya.. my boat had speakers in there already, i went there and replaced two front speakers with my rockfords, and it sounded like only the tweeter was working. the actual cone its self wasn't moving like it should. would you suggest wiring brand new wires and playing around with the gain levels? or would the gain not improve to bass from the speakers? i havent tried them on my new rockford head just yet though.... whats your opinion?

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

200 will sound nice, no worries. It's just underdriven. You're getting essentially half the power you paid for, if it's 400w RMS.

Coax speakers don't have great bass to begin with. You will need to go through and readjust the gains. I would DEFINITELY run new wiring, especially if the amps aren't in the system yet. 100w RMS will roast crappy stock wiring really quick.

dane112

Cadet

ok i see... it just seemed weird as the speakers wasn't hardly moving, and it sounded like the sound was just coming from the tweeters. i will def run new wiring though. I understand what your saying though, maybe ill look into a single mono amp for it later on. could i just run that straight off the sub out and take the y splitters off the amp 2? so what would this system sound like without a sub? would there be a big difference.. just asking ;) lol and what does the gain adjusting actually do? improve sound quality?

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Without a sub you'll have crappy/no low end. Your mids and highs will still sound great... but no system sounds really awesome without good low end.

If you did a single mono amp, you'd run that straight off the sub out. In that case I would take Amp 2 out of the system entirely and run two speakers in parallel on each of the front two channels on Amp 1. 4 speakers on your two front channels and the 2 on the rear.

Gain is essentially a power multiplier. You turn it up, the amplifier delivers more power, i.e. speakers get louder. What you want to do is turn your gains all the way down, turn your head unit all the way up, then adjust the gain up until you hear the speakers start to distort. Then set the gain down just below that point. This will prevent you from damaging your equipment.

dane112

Cadet

ok, and i would wire the mono amp just the same as i would the 2nd amp? i was going to get an alpine PDX 1.600 , its a one channel 600 watt amp. what do you think? do you think my speakers will still sound just as good all on one amp... i wasn't too sure

dane112

Cadet

also these alpine amps stack on top of eachother. making things much easier for me too

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't go 600. If it's a 400w RMS speaker, get as close to 400 as you can. 350-425 range. You can probably get away with 450 if you're careful with it.

Yes, the mono amp works the same - RCAs go from the sub out on your head unit to sub in on the mono amp.

Running the speakers in parallel presents a lower impedance to your amplifier - two 4ohm speakers in parallel presents a 2ohm load. Your amplifier can supply much more power against 2ohms. It won't be quite 200w per channel but close, and each speaker will get half of that power. So you will lose a small amount of power (at that wattage - nothing to be upset about) while keeping all 6 of your speakers and not having to power an additional amp.

dane112

Cadet

Ok so what if i was to bridge 3 channels on my 2nd amp.and run the other two speakers in parallel on the other one channel. this way i am closer to my sub specs? Could this work just as well?

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

You cannot bridge more than 2 channels on an amplifier.

dane112

Cadet

oh ok i see. what is i put the amp in 3 channel mode, and bridged 2 or them. does this not make the channels more powerful? sorry if these are stupid questions... im just keeping my options open

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you put the amp in 3 channel mode, it internally bridges two channels. You do get more power, at the cost of combining two of your channels into one output. You cannot put it in 3 channel mode and try to bridge channel 3 with either of the others.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

When you put the amp in 3 channel mode, it internally bridges two channels. You do get more power, at the cost of combining two of your channels into one output. You cannot put it in 3 channel mode and try to bridge channel 3 with either of the others.

Slide elaborate plz i once understood amps quite well but that was a long time ago..Are you saying in a 4 channel amp if you bridge channel's 3 and 4 the amp then becomes one large mono amp..Application running 4 speaker's on channel's 1 and 2 then bridge channels 3 and 4 for the sub you effectivley spit the amp into two channels..aka channel's 1 and 2 are now mono along with 3 and 4...That does make sense..hmmm

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my plan was to run 2 front speakers and rear speakers on the one amp.. and on the other run the sub woofer and another 2 rear speakers. what do you think....

only if your subwoofer is a 4ohm driver...multi channel amps are only and i mean ONLY 4ohm stable bridged...2ohm load mean no boom boom ;)

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, and i would wire the mono amp just the same as i would the 2nd amp? i was going to get an alpine PDX 1.600 , its a one channel 600 watt amp. what do you think? do you think my speakers will still sound just as good all on one amp... i wasn't too sure
OMG ummmm yeah....i am a professional car audio installer...all the gear you have is awesome stuff, and without PROPER installation could still sound like crap....spending hundreds on amps, head units, speakers and subs is foolish to do without propperly installing and wiring.....arrrrrggggg i fix this stuff on a regular bases because ppl listen to so called experts...ugh. as an installer that ended up fixing hundreds of FYIers attemps i have a quote "pay me now or pay me more later to fix it" what you have is great gear, and all will work awesomely if installed CORRECTLY. if u are mind set to save a few bucks and self install...follow a real experts advice. as i stated b4 on this thread...all will work great..but make sure your sub is 4ohms...it should be if the audio shop where u purchased knew anything at all....any questions ask an expert..you have some serious dollars invested in serious gear...dont duct tape it together. sorry for my mini-rant

delirious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't go 600. If it's a 400w RMS speaker, get as close to 400 as you can. 350-425 range. You can probably get away with 450 if you're careful with it.

Yes, the mono amp works the same - RCAs go from the sub out on your head unit to sub in on the mono amp.

Running the speakers in parallel presents a lower impedance to your amplifier - two 4ohm speakers in parallel presents a 2ohm load. Your amplifier can supply much more power against 2ohms. It won't be quite 200w per channel but close, and each speaker will get half of that power. So you will lose a small amount of power (at that wattage - nothing to be upset about) while keeping all 6 of your speakers and not having to power an additional amp.

you CANNOT do a 2ohm mono load on a 4 channel amp PERIOD!!!!!!! but the clear the mud a 2ohm stable mono amp (lets say its 400w @ 4ohms) will produce 800w @ 2ohms but your amp will get HOT.if you want 800w the BUY 800w amp that will do it @ 4 ohms...it will last longer and you`ll than me for my 25+ years of experience in car audio.