How to undo my fiberglass boat in 2 parts

Strait

Cadet
I was wondering what do you call that strip that is near the top of the boat some pic can help , was wondering how to remove this and do i need to purchase another strip when i put the top half onto the bottom half.

Attachments

• Bateau.jpg
    Bateau.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

Jagid

Cadet
Re: How to undo my fiberglass boat in 2 parts

are you talking about the rub rail?

Strait

Cadet

Yeah i think so , not the big black strip you see in the pics but the aluminium strip that as a ruber stripe in there.

Jagid

Cadet

ahh..

ok, you should be able to pry out the end of the rubber bit, then pull it out. underneather the rubber (on many boats, not all) there are (tons of)screws that do two things: they hold the aluminum piece of channeling onto the boat, and they also secure the cap to the hull in many cases.

Ther are other methods used to hold the two pieces of the boat together. I would begin (if you really want to separate the halves) by pulling the rubber rub rail out of the channel to see what you find..

BUT you may want to wait for somebody to respond that has more expertise than I (i'd reccomend it anyhow) :)

Strait

Cadet

OK will check in the weekend , but just curiously will i have to purchase another trim ???

Jagid

Cadet

if its not trashed already, you should be able to polish it up and put it back on. same with the rubber (except you dont polish it :) )

Strait

Cadet

Well Thank You will try to do just a corner to see if any screw is on there, will post the result.

Jagid

Cadet

just keep in mind, it might not be screws. depending on the age of the boat and the manufacturer, there may be staples, the two halves may be fiberglassed/sealed together, etc.

there are a ton of examples here in the forums if you troll through them! good luck, and keep us posted.

-j

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

there are a ton of examples here in the forums if you troll through them! good luck, and keep us posted.

It might also help if you spread the posts out a little longer then 6-8 minutes apart from on another..It would give a bit more affect on your posts ;) ..

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You can use a hair dryer and warm up the rubber insert and it'll work easier, coming out and going back in.