how to tell if I have a bridgeport without disassembling the motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: how to tell if I have a bridgeport without disassembling the motor

i dont think that number meant the manufacture date. I dont know what it means......

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Idont think you can put a 2.5 under clam cowlings due to divider plate cowl bracket...the 2.5 is wider than a 2.4 on divider.

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

I really dont know what it is...I would like to know in order to be able to find parts.....

Dukedog

Captain

Idont think you can put a 2.5 under clam cowlings due to divider plate cowl bracket...the 2.5 is wider than a 2.4 on divider.

Ya right Fb. Can't be done without some type of fabrication of special brackets for tha 2.5 divider. It would also have ta have tha 16 amp stuff on it. I've been ta that dance already...........Gave up tha brackets were a pita ta get right.

Looks like tha build date numbers. But will add I had a "first generation" block that had a build date year stamp of '91 which would be totally impossible so go figure................

Dukedog

Captain

I really dont know what it is...I would like to know in order to be able to find parts.....

You would be safe with '88 200 parts (16 amp chargin' stuff). Only thing that you will need ta be careful of would be tha rings. You would need ta make sure of tha cylinder material (chrome, steel or combination of both) if any holes have been sleeved. All else is pretty generic in those years. Its NOT a bridge port............

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

The guy I purchased the boat from was my uncle. He bought the boat from a tournament fisherman who loved to go fast. He pick up an icebag and burned up his motor before he could get stopped. I guess his alarm for heating up was faulty, i dont know. Anyway, he said that he had a friend who worked on mercury engines and he was able to get him a new powerhead and put it on for him. He said the powerhead only had about 75 hours on it. When I took it to the lake the first time it idled great and ran great and sounded like a hot rod. There are five holes drilled in the gap under the cavitation plate on both sides. When I took it up the lake the first time, it planed fast and ran like a beast. I took it home and put it in the garage for 3 weeks. Took it back to the lake and idled out and it barely planed off and wouldn't hardly take throttle. I put it on trailer and opened cowlings and in the back bottom where cowlings join was a field mouse nest made of the foam from the inside of cowling and turkey feathers from a turkey tail I had mounted in the shop from a turkey we killed that spring. The boat has NEVER ran right since. However, I can put a new set of plugs in it and it does greta for about 30 minutes. I can put more plugs in it and again it will do well lfor about thirty minets. I have had carbs taken apart and cleaned three times but have never put needle valves and floats in them. I can pump up the bulb and it gets tight and there is no gas coming out of carbs anywhere. Fuel pump was rebuilt, new fuel filter, etc. It does have an aftermarket bulb on it from seasense but i was told that would make it do what it is doing. Once boat planes off it runs smooth as silk but not fast as it was that first day. Compression is all the same and good. Dont know how to check for firing order and things like that. don't want to keep throwing money at it. I wish someone knew what to try that I can do.......thanks

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

how can you tell dukedog?

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

the serieal number on tha clamp port side tag is 0D030331

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

my serial number on the clamp is 0D030331 it brings up this:

Service Literature for HIGH PERFORMANCE 20"MID,RH 1.87:1 CLE 2.5 L EFI

PARTS CATALOGS

811505 91 - 2.5L EFI 2.5L EFI OFFSHORE

I know that isn't what I have is it? I have carbs not EFI. I figured the powerhead is different than the rest and the motor has been pieced together and that is why it is hard to find parts....for someone like me who isn't experienced.....

Dukedog

Captain

Nothin' I have with me shows that serial number in either production or Hi Perf. I'm old and tryin' ta do this by memory lol. Maybe someone else on here has more detailed list. But I think th 0D is gonna be inta tha 2.5 motors which that is not. Tha exhaust thing is a pretty common deal done ta stock production down housings. It is a "factory" thing when coming from tha Hi Performance division. Can't tell by pictures, is tha trim a single ram (pump in tha boat) or 3 ram? One thing for sure if your gonna work on it is ya gotta get a manual. Tryin' ta do things just on tha computer can get ya inta more trouble than some think. Not everyone interprets things stated tha same way.........

Dukedog

Captain

I see that we were do it at tha same time. Thats tell ya about tha mid but it looks like they also changed tha adapter and can also. Tha one in tha pictue looks ta be a two piece adapter and bass can. Tha "offshore" can would have an exhaust snout. They would have changed tha adapter ta accommodate tha stock 2.4

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

Trim has one single ram.

Dukedog

Captain

my serial number on the clamp is 0D030331 it brings up this:

811505 91 - 2.5L EFI 2.5L EFI OFFSHORE

This tells all about tha clamp, trim, down housing. Looks like they changed some of tha parts on it when they put tha 2.4 on it though. ie: adapter plate and down housing.......

Can't see tha gear case......

Just noticed tha id tag on tha swivel. Being where its at says its Hi Perf.

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Thats for a 260 HP offshore motor. 1925211LH model number.

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

One other thing ta discount tha BP theory. They are not drilled for tha oil pump. Just tha 'boss" is present. They won't have tha vacume hole for a mech. fuel pump either. It will have a "brad" type plug in it. Forgot ta bring that up earlier..............Hi Perf. oval port and ProMax are tha only "unpainted" block that has provisions for tha oil pump.

Last edited:

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

I have always been an evinrude man and never had any trouble out of my old rude for 10 years. I buy a merc and its trouble trouble I loved it when it ran well. I want it to be right again

J warren

Cadet
Sorry to bud in.. I have a 1990 2.4 L I looked down the cylinder, and on the outer most wall I have a bridge between the two ports I think.. and I do have numbers on the block if somebody could tell me if it is an actual Bridgeport powerhead or not would be great..
K5141 number in the centre of the block top 7124 number at the case halves

Status
Not open for further replies.