How to Switch to Antifreeze Cooled Engine

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You'd need to fit a new manifold, but yes you'd get about 280-290hp from the engine. Think carefully about that though. You'd probably need to change prop (up one size, 2") to keep the revs in check, and that 'extra' load will be reflected right through the rev range, which will mean the whole thing with feel LESS driveable in the low and mid range... Unless you plan spending most of your time at full throttle, having to go up a prop size is not an advantage...

Chris...

Last edited:

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
You'd need to fit a new manifold, but yes you'd get about 280-290hp from the engine. Think carefully about that though. You'd probably need to change prop (up one size, 2") to keep the revs in check, and that 'extra' load will be reflected right through the rev range, which will mean the whole thing with feel LESS driveable in the low and mid range... Unless you plan spending most of your time at full throttle, having to go up a prop size is not an advantage...

Chris...
And I would assume my Gallons per hour would drop like a rock.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
no, that is a fallacy, with the right 4 barrel carb, your fuel economy actually goes up in the mid range
Would mid range be around 2500 to 3000 RPMs? And what about top end speed that is what I am looking for. The way I see it HP= acceleration and more RPMs= more MPH. Its MPH that I am looking for. Right now Iam not sure if more HP is going to give me MPH.

Last edited:

achris

Would mid range be around 2500 to 3000 RPMs? And what about top end speed that is what I am looking for. The way I see it HP= acceleration and more RPMs= more MPH. Its MPH that I am looking for. Right now Iam not sure if more HP is going to give me MPH.
You're confusing cars (with a multi ratio gearbox) and boats (single ratio drive)... You need to completely change your thinking...

An increase of 20 or 30hp (top end) MIGHT give you 3 or 4 knots more...

Chris...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You’re got a little Chevy small block that used to come in a 4,000 lb Chevy Impala/Caprice full size car of the 70s/80s/90s in a large boat so your fuel economy is not going to be great no matter what. I would also recommend a 4 bbl carb on that engine because you will have better low end response and fuel economy due to the smaller primary barrels of the 4 bbl vs 2 bbl, and better performance at high rpm use when the secondaries open up. I have a Quadrajet 4 bbl on my 1988 4.3 V6, it gets excellent fuel economy and has adequate top end power for a small engine in a relatively heavy (4000 lbs) 20’ boat.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
You’re got a little Chevy small block that used to come in a 4,000 lb Chevy Impala/Caprice full size car of the 70s/80s/90s in a large boat so your fuel economy is not going to be great no matter what. I would also recommend a 4 bbl carb on that engine because you will have better low end response and fuel economy due to the smaller primary barrels of the 4 bbl vs 2 bbl, and better performance at high rpm use when the secondaries open up. I have a Quadrajet 4 bbl on my 1988 4.3 V6, it gets excellent fuel economy and has adequate top end power for a small engine in a relatively heavy (4000 lbs) 20’ boat.
Would you happen to know your max Knots?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boat motors are built like dump truck motors. a boat is effectively a dump truck in 4th gear going up-hill in sand.

you need grunt (torque). you need a fat torque curve. Ignore chasing HP.

the RPM's are a byproduct of the engine torque curve and the boat's prop curve

a 2 barrel carb chokes the engine's ability to breath. no breathing, no power on the firing stroke. allowing an engine to breath is what allows it to make power. there are many ingredients in making an engine breath to make power. bore, stroke, combustion chamber shape, cam profile, intake plenum size, and incoming throttle plate size are some of the things that go into the formula to make power. Think of it this way. you can breath thru a snorkel and you can walk around without a problem. now try running with a snorkel. you soon get out of breath and you are back to a walk

that searay is a big boat. that being stated, if you want more speed, you need more grunt. there is no replacement for pure displacement. With the 350, the 4 barrel will help a bit. as Chris stated a few mph. however better yet would be a 383 stroker or moving up to either a big block or a 6.2 LS/LT motor. and a bravo 3 drive. that way you have duo props give you more grunt.

BTW, on big hulls, 120hp extra may only equate to 10mph. YMMV
if you go 4 barrel, add intake plenum volume with a carb spacer. that fattens up the mid-range where the boat needs it to get out of the hole. this is where prop optimization comes in. once the boat is on plane, the power requirements of the hull drop off. a fat mid-range gives allows you to swing a bigger prop, getting you out of the hole with the bigger prop and as a byproduct, it gets you more MPH per RPM.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Would you happen to know your max Knots?
I have it propped to hit 5,000 rpm wide open (15.5x15 prop) so I’m only getting approx 35-40 mph wide open but due to typical choppy conditions in the local bays where I boat low speed responsiveness and acceleration on plane is more important to me than wide open top speed. IMHO this boat should have had a V8 and if I repower it that’s what it’s getting. V8 has a good bit more torque than the V6. Propping it like I’ve done reduces the strain on the little V6 making it last as long as it has.

achris

I have it propped to hit 5,000 rpm wide open (15.5x15 prop) so I’m only getting approx 35-40 mph wide open but due to typical choppy conditions in the local bays where I boat low speed responsiveness and acceleration on plane is more important to me than wide open top speed....
Same, only my lake is called the Indian Ocean. :)

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
You're confusing cars (with a multi ratio gearbox) and boats (single ratio drive)... You need to completely change your thinking...

An increase of 20 or 30hp (top end) MIGHT give you 3 or 4 knots more...

Chris...
Looks like I just cant win with this. I just looked into aftermarket MFI kits but it turns out none of them a approved by the USCG.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There is just no need for EFI on an old boat just use a good 4 bbl carb properly jetted for that application and it’s going to give you the most you can get from a big boat with a small engine. EFI conversion is just not cost effective on an old boat. Don’t make your life more complex than it needs to be.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
O yea
There is just no need for EFI on an old boat just use a good 4 bbl carb properly jetted for that application and it’s going to give you the most you can get from a big boat with a small engine. EFI conversion is just not cost effective on an old boat. Don’t make your life more complex than it needs to be.
OK thanks. Would a aluminum intake be a bad idea. I am thinking salt water will eat up aluminum. A goggle search is giving me some conflicting info on the max RPM. Would 4500 be pushing it?

achris

O yea

OK thanks. Would a aluminum intake be a bad idea. I am thinking salt water will eat up aluminum. A goggle search is giving me some conflicting info on the max RPM. Would 4500 be pushing it?
Are you really going to be running most of the time at full throttle? My boat is capable of 42 knots, with a 19" 3 blade prop. But that prop isn't 'nice' to drive at cruising speeds. I opt for a 17" 4 blade prop, with a top speed of about 38 knots. The very very few occasions I drive at WOT, it's just not an issue.

There are marine aluminium manifolds (Edelbrock 2504 for non-Vortec, 2516 for Vortec). They have brass inserts in the water passages, and max revs is 6,500.

Chris....

Last edited:

achris

.... The way I see it HP= acceleration and more RPMs= more MPH....
Yes quite correct, IN A CAR, where you can select a lower gear to get the revs up into the power band. In a boat, you don't have different gears to select, you need an engine that will pull from about 1,200rpm. If you have bags of power at the top end, (and the trade-off for that top end is less low and mid-range), you're not even going to be able to get the boat up onto the plane to get the engine into the power band! It will be a dog that will never plane, and so never get into the revs. That's just the way boats work.

Talk to @QBhoy about this. Small engines with high end power in 'big' boats is an unworkable disaster... Putting add-ons on the engine to increase top end power will rob the low and mid-range, there is no getting around that. If you need the top end speed, get a bigger engine....

Chris......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks like I just cant win with this. I just looked into aftermarket MFI kits but it turns out none of them a approved by the USCG.
Why do you think you need EFI? There is no additional power or economy

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Why do you think you need EFI? There is no additional power or economy
Scott. We have discussed similar many times I’m sure. I totally get what you are saying, if you’re talking about a perfectly set up, built and adapted carb engine to compare to an mpi…but out the factory installed engines in boats…there is no doubt that a 4.3, 5.0 or 5.7 mpi all have more power than the carb version. Mainly because they run higher rpm ranges. The specs and figures suggest they are better on fuel. But I agree that should a guy manage to set up a carb to have absolutely zero fuel wastage…it may be possible for the same engines…carb and mpi..at the same rpm…to be as efficient as each other. But that would have to be a perfect world situation for the carb.
Efi tbi engines would be comparable a little closer to the carb, I’d think.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Difference between the two 4.3 gm in carb and mpi format, when they were available at the same time as an engine option. Both the same rpm. Carb is 5 gallons per hour and mpi is 4.5
Interestingly they both have the same rpm range. Also I’d add that the mpi at 4800 rpm uses a little more fuel than the carb at 4800 rpm…but it’s making 30hp more whilst it’s at it.

Attachments

• F235ED07-0AA9-469D-8352-BC43E3310828.png
    F235ED07-0AA9-469D-8352-BC43E3310828.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 0196935C-8500-49A8-A713-8C07297C28F0.png
    0196935C-8500-49A8-A713-8C07297C28F0.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1