How to replace fiberglass gas tank bowrider

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
Ok ..so the decision has been made to replace the tank....suggestions have been made to get the tank on Craigslist...but.........what is the best way to get that sucker out? This is a bowrider with back to back seating and basic floor layout. The tank lays in the middle of the deck w nothing in the way. Ultimatly I will be replacing some if not all carpet but for grins....my thoughts are....

Some how drain tank approx 20 gallons
Measure out and pre-cut carpet where sawing will take place
Through deck caps lay something on top of tank during sawing to prevent fire
Use circular saw to cut out big enough area to remove tank....hopefully no explosion
Remove tank, shop for new one, replace....

My questions are.....what are the real dangers of sawing above this tank.......half full....and or empty via syphon? Boom?

How will I brace the floor after reinstalling new tank....unless I saw perfectly above the stringers giving me something to screw the deck back into?

Thanks

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to replace fiberglass gas tank bowrider

hey jpv, I take it your floor doesn't have a removable hatch above the tank, if not remove the carpet from around the area and set your skill saw at about 3/16 of an inch for depth, make a cut and if it dowsn't go all the way through, set it just a liitle deeper. Fiberglass really doesn't create sparks unless you hit metal with your blades. Take you time and go slow. you will do fine.:cool: btw I was able to use one of the primer bulb assemblies for my tank and got all of the gas out, just remember its the fumes that are volatile as well.:eek: my boat has a removable floor above it and is 3/4 plywood with the edges routed to 1/2" screwed to the floor. Pics would help as well.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

jpv,
I would get the tank ready to pull before I drained the fuel out. As stated in previous post fumes are what explodes, more liquid less room for fumes in tank. You can use a lot of diferent types of cheap pumps to get the fuel out once your ready. As for the rest, tinkeringwackyone's method will work fine.
No Boom's please :D
Bob

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Ok....even better......leave the gas in the tank....should I have the deck caps open and a fan blowing through her belly to disperse the fumes from accumilating during the sawing?....With regards to the size of the hole...should I purposely make the cut directly on top of the stringers so when I replace the decking piece it will rest on the stringer for support and then I will gob up some screws with 3m 5200 and secure it?????? Or just make the cut in the hollow area and make sort of a frame or brace for the piece to sit on when replaced? I am not replacing all of my decking....I am hoping for good kharma when I look down in that hole.
I appreciate your assistance....I am trying to get the odds more in my favor before making the cut above this tank.