How to repair/replace vinyl pads

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All,
I did some searches but didn't come up with much, so I have a couple of questions...
My question pertains to the pads which run the length of the boat on the interior just below the gunwale.

I have wood under mine and it is rotted, so my plan was to remove them and pull the upholstery off as carefully as I can because its still in good shape. So my questions....

1) What are these long pads called?
2) There are other decorative inserts within the longer pads, different color of vinyl - are those made of wood as well and how are those secured to the pad typically? Some of those look ok so I'd like to save them if possible.
3) What is a good replacement product to put in the wood's place?
4) How are the pads that align the sides of the bow (back rest for passengers?) held in place?
3) Where is a good place to purchase replacement padding for all these pads and what type of padding is it? Marine special or same as other applications?

thanks all!

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to repair/replace vinyl pads

well I just did mine.... they are called coaming bolsters you can buy some pre made at seatek or you can make them,,, very easy... can buy vinyl and the good foam online if need be,,,or if your vinyl is good you have few options marine plywood stripped down to the desired width ,,or 5/4 pressure treated deck board its about 5 1/4 wide just add the foam and the vinyl and use stainless steel staples...or use some 1x6 oak boards at home depot for about 3.50 a foot,, I did all my sewing myself I had got an est and it was for $400 and thats just to sew and staple and I was bringing my materials to them so I pd about 100 for all the materials and did it myself ... there held in place by some blind screwing/ nuts take out the gunnel rod holders box and look up underneath you will see some threaded studs coming thru..when i reinstalled mine i used huge wing nuts so I can remove them all prior to next winter,,,some vinyl doest like the cold

Attachments

• CIMG1088.jpg
    CIMG1088.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Excellent - thanks for the info. After searching "Coaming bolsters" I found where a lot of people used PVC trimboards. I think that will be the route I go instead of wood. So I suppose I'll remove my current coaming bolster, trace the pattern out, order some trimboard, cut the trimboard to match the old coaming bolster pattern, install mounting screws through the bolster prior to installing the foam padding and vinyl, use stainless steel staples to mount the vinyl and that's it. Sounds easy on paper..

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

on the back of the bolster you can also then cover all the staples and edges with another piece of vinyl but use an adheiseve like 3m4200 no staples just cut it slightly smaller than width and length and then lay a piece of wood over that with some weight on it until it cures then that too will help seal from water getting in... sailrite also sells a stuff called H66-Vinyl cement you can put that over thread if you have expose seams to help seal water getting in and destroying the thead...pvc is ok but be careful you dont strip out the stud holder... oak was used on the USS Constitution(Old Ironside) and I think wood holds the staples bette..r If you seal it right it will be fine

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You know, I wasn't even thinking when I said I'd use staples on the trimboard -that's not going to work. I like how easy to use wood is but I just hate the idea of rot.
However, if I put vinyl over the entire wooden piece and then take extra strips and go over the area with the staples like you said that might last quite a while.

Any way to adhere the vinyl to trimboard if I go that way?

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

look how long wood even exposed on the side of a house last Ive seen pine boards go 10-15 years or more.. now take treated wood like pressure treated or marine plywood and wrap it in vinyl ,,,,I bet because your using the same vinyl it will out last it,,, its easier to work with dont worry.... as far as I know you can nail staple etc the pvc trim board I looked at some at home depot it just seem to me that it wouldnt hold the stud as strong as wood,,, especially if you put weight on it