How to repair cracked upholstery

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a few spots on our upholstery that need some attention.
Anyone suggest a good kit to repair these. or is there a "how to" somewhere.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• seatrips1.jpg
    seatrips1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1
  • seatrips2.jpg
    seatrips2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: How to repair cracked upholstery

I am an upholsterer and there is nothing that you can do with the red piece. The maoisture is gone from the material and it's sun damaged beyond repair. The only fix for it is to have an upholstery shop pull the seat apart and replace it. You could do some changes in the color configuration ane replace just a portion of the red on both sides to make it remain symmetrical, but as far as the original goes, it's shot.

As far as the white piece, you're missing stitching as well as the cracks. That could be salvaged by sewing a top piece of white slightly wider than the cracked part as a temporary fix, but if that portion is already failing, the rest og the seat isn't far behind.

The dollar store vinyl repair kits aren't really worth a crap on a big damaged section, but I have heard people having good results with small pin holes or minor tears.

Go get estimates from your local upholstery shop.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

That doesn't look good.... hopefully one of our resident boat upholstery guys will chime in...

biglurr54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a heavy duty sewing machine and vinyl and welting. I recovered everything in the boat in a weekend. I did it for half the cost of an upholstery shop and I got a great sewing machine out of it. Next task ... Covers.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I bought a heavy duty sewing machine and vinyl and welting. I recovered everything in the boat in a weekend. I did it for half the cost of an upholstery shop and I got a great sewing machine out of it. Next task ... Covers.

show us some pics bro !

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey dude.. thumbs up on the job!!! I've got an old upholstery sewing machine and actually spent a couple of months of my college years working in an upholstery shop.. and I've got several boats that need upholstery.... just wish I'd get out there and DO IT!!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I admire you guys who can do that. My work would end up looking like a project from a first grade Bible school class. My eigth grade home ec teacher gave me a C on my tote bag, and that was only because she felt sorry for me and didn't want to see me again the following year.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Moved this to Restoration as we are kind of keeping upholstery over here. Also upsized the pics . . .