How to remove the front cowl bracket on a 1985 Mercury classic 50

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I need to remove the front cowl bracket to get at the carbs. The choke assembly is attached to the cowl bracket. Where is the best place to detach the choke assembly to remove the cowl bracket? Fuel line disintegrated so I really need to get at the carbs. to see if I can clean out the float bowls.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
usually we pull out the choke plunger, from the choke solenoid.

Watch the choke solenoid wire and the switchbox wires. Best to disconnect the battery.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
usually we pull out the choke plunger, from the choke solenoid.

Watch the choke solenoid wire and the switchbox wires. Best to disconnect the battery.
Thanks I will disconnect the battery cables. I got the cowl bracket off and am trying to loosen the carb mounting nuts they are extremely tight and I might have to remove the starter to get at the ones on other side. I think that I was spreading the open end wrench. I have a manual choke and electric choke on mine. I took out the screw on the side of the linkage by the to free the manual choke link and took the mounting bolts off of the electric one and then turned it out of the linkage. If I get the carbs off I will take them to a shop for a rebuild.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks I will disconnect the battery cables. I got the cowl bracket off and am trying to loosen the carb mounting nuts they are extremely tight and I might have to remove the starter to get at the ones on other side. I think that I was spreading the open end wrench. I have a manual choke and electric choke on mine. I took out the screw on the side of the linkage by the to free the manual choke link and took the mounting bolts off of the electric one and then turned it out of the linkage. If I get the carbs off I will take them to a shop for a rebuild.
I had a time taking that one 7/16" nut off the corners had already been rounded and then it hit me like a diamond bullet right between the eyes-vice grips- the vice grips were enough to break it loose. Now I need to get the carbs cleaned and a couple of new nuts and gaskets. I have to drive 40 miles to get somebody to rebuild them but at least they should be right when I put them back on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These carburetors are easy to take apart and clean !----YOU_TUBE videos will help.----What is your motor doing / not doing that leads you to carburetor work.----Any other trouble shooting done ?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The main problem with fuel was a lot of junk from the old EPA fuel line breaking down. Where can I get zip ties that are strong enough to tighten them around the fuel lines going to the carbs? Do zip ties pull tight enough with needle nose pliers? Going to do the spark test again after I install the carbs. It wouldn't run for over two minutes without dying.​
It was more work than I like just getting these carbs off with having to remove the front cowl bracket and starter and everything so I don't mind having a pro rebuild my carbs.​
I will do another spark test after I get the carbs back on.​
Some guy suggested clamping a timing light to each plug wire to check for spark. I like that idea if it works.​

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It is common to need to remove the starter to get to the carb mounting nuts. Replace those that are rounded off.

You will want new gaskets, inlet needle and seat and floats for those carb rebuilds. The original floats were not designed for alcohol in the gasoline and will dissolve.