How to remove starter in tight space?

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
1996 Chris Craft, 5.0Fl engine, Volvo SX outdrive. Cockpit layout is full back seat, motor behind the seat, small storage areas to each side of the motor, full width sundeck over stern. Looking at removing starter. How do you get to the starter? It is mounted low and at the back with a hull support column close to the motor. Can barely see the starter. Can't lay over the seat and reach the starter, can't squat in the storage area. Can't lay on back in storage area. Doesn't look like seat comes out easily. Anyone done one like this before?

And just a side note, is my outdrive considered a Cobra or Volvo?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: How to remove starter in tight space?

You may well have to take the storage area apart...You may find yourself standing on your head....laying on your back....You may even have to join yoga so you can get at the damm thing. While that is tounge in cheek it can quite a job for such a simple fix..take a deep breath and have at it....It is helpful to have every extension and swivel known to mankind to assist you.

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant

I'd start disassembling things to get at it from a better angle. Have air tools? Sometimes a 1/4 inch drive micro ratchet is your friend... after you pay with a few knuckles breaking the bolts loose.

Bondo

Staff member

1996 Chris Craft, 5.0Fl engine, Volvo SX outdrive. Cockpit layout is full back seat, motor behind the seat, small storage areas to each side of the motor, full width sundeck over stern. Looking at removing starter. How do you get to the starter? It is mounted low and at the back with a hull support column close to the motor. Can barely see the starter. Can't lay over the seat and reach the starter, can't squat in the storage area. Can't lay on back in storage area. Doesn't look like seat comes out easily. Anyone done one like this before?

And just a side note, is my outdrive considered a Cobra or Volvo?

Ayuh,.... Basically, there's 2 options,....

Remove enough "Boat" to get to it,...
Or,...
Pull the motor, 'n change it on the stand,...