How to remove stainless pin from OMC control cable

NWZFAN

Cadet
The plastic connector broke on the throttle cable to my 1984 25hp Evinrude. I have seen those ends for sale, but cannot figure out how remove the old one. There is the stainless piece that sticks out on both sides which also holds the keeper clamp on the throttle side. I see the wire extending through that to the end of the connector. Am i attempting the impossible? Cable moves freely, so hate to replace it. Anyone have ideas? Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just post a picture of it.----There are different cables and it is hard based on a verbal description !

NWZFAN

Cadet
I'm new to this site. I thought I did post a picture. Will try again.

Attachments

• IMG_6297.jpg
    IMG_6297.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 1

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
lets see the rest of the end. Other side and where it connects to the rest of the cable.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A new cable is not that expensive.------Not worth the effort to repair that.----The broken piece would likely be 1/3 to 1/2 of a new cable.

NWZFAN

Cadet
Thank you all for replying. I did look at that option (new cable), but I was hoping someone would know if that pin can be removed to release the wire. I have another end connector I can replace it with for no cost. The other one has small screws and a brass insert that hold the wire in place.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If both sides have a head on them, it was pressed at assembly. Just grind off the head and the rest of it carefully. The kind with the set screws work well if there is clearance in the control box.

NWZFAN

Cadet
Thanks for the idea of grinding. I tried pulling it out with vise grips, but can't get a good hold on it. This is the motor end of the throttle cable. No control box issues.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your broken cable was --" factory assembled "-----Which meant that no time consuming fiddling was required on assembly / fitting controls to motors.------The way with the 2 screws or some with 2 wee set screws introduced possible error by the end user.

NWZFAN

Cadet
Success! I used a Dremel and cut away the plastic and then split the stainless piece. Definitely wasn't going to get it off any other way. Slipped on the other connector I had with the screws and all is good. On to my next challenge. Thank you all for your ideas and encouragement.