How to remove Helm Lid

alldodge

Staff member
Chap 280 OSX
Trying to remove the Lid which covers the helm. No room under it, and can bearly see panels and displayes are bolted from behind

Can move the top a bit and think its held in place by a spring latch. Might be like a dash on a car

Slide3.JPG

Fun Times

Staff member
Is there any type of access to the rear side of the dash from sitting in the bow of the boat looking aft? AKA A seat back rest that lifts up...Then remove a bunk board of some type...Maybe?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be Z-brackets. would be two lock screws and then slide the cover

alldodge

Staff member
No, behind it is the toilet and solid fiberglass wall

I can push the left or right side and it moves back in a twist, this is why I'm thinking it's some kind of a latch. Might take some kind of body tool like a car

alldodge

Staff member
Never thought there might be screws under the front lip, will have a closer look tomorrow

alldodge

Staff member
I need to get behind it to install 1st Mate FOB kill switch

alldodge

Staff member
No good
Looking under the front lip I can find nothing
In the head found a overhead panel which when removed showed nothing to help. It showed there is a full fiberglass wall between it and the top. I'm back to thinking there is some sort of spring latch

I'm sure missing Formula :(

Fun Times

Staff member
Bet you could call Chaparral customer service and ask general questions of how it’s held in place and try asking for general photos of the area opened up via email or something… Some manufacturers are decent at wanting to help.

alldodge

Staff member
Bet you could call Chaparral customer service and ask general questions of how it’s held in place and try asking for general photos of the area opened up via email or something… Some manufacturers are decent at wanting to help.
Your probably right, I'll try that

alldodge

Staff member
Chap said to remove the bezel on the smartcraft gauge which will give access to screws hold gauge in. Once removed will have access to screws holding top.

I'm looking for the install instructions for the gauge installed, it's square.
I didn't get manuals for it so it's starting to take some looking. The Merc monitor is round and smartcraft is also round. Don't know what it's called but will keep looking

tpenfield

Staff member
My boat does not have a kill switch (from what I can tell) and I'm thinking of installing at least a basic tether kill switch like I had on the Formula.

The FOB version looks interesting, but maybe a bit pricey for me. (I'd probably loose the Fob)

How does Chappy feel about customers doing mods to their boats while under warranty?

flashback

Captain
Best of luck getting the bezel off, the rest should be a cake walk. Maybe you won't need to pull the top..

alldodge

Staff member
How does Chappy feel about customers doing mods to their boats while under warranty?
Don't know didn't ask
Adding stuff to a new boat always takes place fire extinguisher, vhf, other things. Don't see any issue so long as what was added did not cause a problem, if it does it's my fault

My Rinker has a lanyard but I stopped using it. I stood up beside the seat and killed the motor, everyone when flying forward. The Formula didn't have one

Best of luck getting the bezel off, the rest should be a cake walk. Maybe you won't need to pull the top..
I'll have to pull the top to gain access. Chap dash has about 2 inch slot between the bulkhead and dash. No way to even begin to get behind it. Sure miss Formula manufacturing

alldodge

Staff member
Will be today or tomorrow.

Adjusted the lift Thursday but now need longer bunk boards. The local lift guy said he will bring them today, but this is the same guy that I waited 3 years to get him to do another adjustment. I gave up and adjusted my self, then the next week he shows up, go figure.

Didn't want the lift to be under the water and get slimed up and have to adjust myself like last time. Also don't want it sitting in the water

Attachments

• 20230413_145525.jpg
    20230413_145525.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5