How to remove fuel pickup tube

ggill

Cadet
I am trying to remove fuel pickup tube. Does the fitting just unscrew? I can rotate the large nut. When I turn the fitting, holding the large nut, it rotates but doesn’t seem to be unscrewing. I actually unscrewed the large nut all the way off the fitting and then tried unscrewing the fitting. Same result, it moves but doesn’t seem to be getting any more loose. Can I just install another fitting next to it? What is on the inside of the tank? Is there a threaded fitting built into the tank? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

flashback

Captain
That looks like no pick-up tube I've ever seen.. looks like a pipe plug. In any case hold the large fitting with an open end wrench and then remove the small square fitting..

ggill

Cadet
That looks like no pick-up tube I've ever seen.. looks like a pipe plug. In any case hold the large fitting with an open end wrench and then remove the small square fitting..
There was another brass fitting that the hose connected to. It took it off to get better access

ggill

Cadet
Is there another fitting inside the tank? I can completely back off the large nut from that aluminum fitting and it still is tight on the tank.

flashback

Captain
Gotcha, it looks like a poly tank and the fittings are buggered. Does the tank have an access plate..

flashback

Captain
What does the large nut thread to, I would think it threads into the tank and the smaller fitting threads into the larger one?

ggill

Cadet
What does the large nut thread to, I would think it threads into the tank and the smaller fitting threads into the larger one?
That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I’ve never seen the inside of tank. I feel like maybe the top nut is used to sandwich the fitting that the fuel pickup tube screws into. This is the first and only boat I’ve ever worked on.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes those fittings are pressed in. So if it turns CCW but does not get lose, suspect it is pressed in.
I had one like that. I cut is off and drilled it out, and threaded it to take a flush bushing, and then a threaded fuel pickup..

ggill

Cadet
Sometimes those fittings are pressed in. So if it turns CCW but does not get lose, suspect it is pressed in.
I had one like that. I cut is off and drilled it out, and threaded it to take a flush bushing, and then a threaded fuel pickup..
Okay thanks for the information. That really helps