How to Remove Carbs Johnson 115 v4

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a J115PLSRC that refuses to idle in the water. Makes docking very exciting, and not in a good way. I've already ordered, and received, the carb kits, and I have the good service manual, but I'm having trouble visualizing how to remove the carbs to rebuild them. Does anyone have a video or how to on removing these from the engine?

Last edited:

edfishing2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to Remove Carbs Johnson 115 v4

Intake.jpgThe carbs are held onto the intake with nuts and lock washers 56 and 9. The studs (4 on each carb) are fixed in the intake. To get to these you have to take the air silencer 15 (black cover). Then take off 10 (have to disconnect throttle and shift cables clamp 37). You also have to disconnect the choke 17. See the photo.These are from an 1984 model but I bet yours are about the same.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Also remove the linkage rod between the carbs. It just pushes out of the platstic retainers on each carb arm-you will figure it out. You may opt to pull all three carbs off at once-leaving them all connected to the fuel lines. Just disconnect the main plastic fuel distribution pipe and all 3 will come off as a set. Then disconnect each carb fuel hose at the carb when you get it on the workbench. Make sure your are doing this over a pan, or a towel, as the fuel will drain out of the carbs.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be careful when you disconnect the hose from the plastic manifold that supplies fuel for both carbs, as it is very easy to break..also you will need a little patience on the lower carb bottom nuts, as they are a little tricky to get loose.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies, I'll post back after I get em removed with some lessons learned.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I started to tear into the engine, and what a PITA it is. First off, and I am grateful for the advise, but my engine is nothing like the picture, or the video. Mine has plastic carbs and single inlet(per cyclinder/carb) throttle bodies. Looking at the service manual, I can see where the bolts are that need to be removed, but there is zero explanation for how to get to them. The bottom two bolts on the starboard side are behind the shift lever, which prevents access via even 1/4" ratchet. Then they put security Torx screws on there just to make me more upset. The manual seems to be written with the assumption that the entire powerhead is removed from the case.

Here is what I have.
EPC3078.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The above video which you posted is for carb overhauls for an older crossflow engine. Your engine is a much newer (2004) looper. Completely different engine. That video does not apply to your carbs which, as you noted, are plastic. The ones in the video are all aluminum. That video got us all thinking you had that older crossflow type model. We should have caught that with the model number which you posted. You may be able to find a similar video on carb overhauls which apply to your newer model on the same web location you got the first one.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That clears things up a little. The carb rebuild process seems pretty straight forward. It is the carb removal process that has me confused...I understand that I need to remove the 8 bolts. I don't understand how I get access to the 8 bolts to remove them. I can see the last two, but can't reach them.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

do you want to take the throttle body off with the crabs or just the carbs?

the use some long bolts that sandwich the throttle body between the manifild and the carb....but they do have a SCREW ( i think only a single screw) that also holds the carb to the throttle body.....

it should be very easy to access those 3/8 or 7/16th( cant remember right now) hex head bolts that hold the carb on, as well as the one phillips head screw.

I dont think you have to even touch the linkage...its attached to the throttle body, I am pretty sure...

you might nhave to use a long extension to reach all the bolts.

there are long bolts and medium length bolts.....

once you get one off youll see how easy it was an know what to expect on the other carbs..

off course getting them back on with the gaskets in place, while all the other parts of the fuel system are still on...might be a little tricky.

good luck

bob

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The secret was to remove the side panels, that I didn't know could be removed and the manual made no reference to. After that I was able to easily remove the carbs/throttle bodies from each side. I am now stuck looking for a johnson screwdriver, which looks like a security Torx, but is more of a flower with a stamen in the middle, more rounded with a bigger post than the security Torx. PITA.