how to remove bugs that stuck in my wet paint?

bzajdek

Seaman
Well this week I rolled and tipped my boat on monday and the results were less than expected so thursday I sanded 220 and 320 then wiped and sprayed rustoleum thinned with both acetone and mineral spirits through a siphon feed non-hvlp with a 2.0mm tip. Finish looked excellent I sprayed outside in the shade and moved indoors within 10 minutes still stuff got stuck a couple of bugs and dandelion fur. I don't plan to paint any more coats, can I wet sand out these agrevations with 1000 grit paper or is there another way?

PFalcon

Seaman
Re: how to remove bugs that stuck in my wet paint?

IF they are on the last coat, yes I would wetsand it with 1000, and then 1500 grit.
Then use polishing compound and a woolen wheel, which you should do once your paint cures.

IF you used the Performance Interlux you HAVE to get them out within 15 hours or it will never sand.

Word of advice believe the specifications of your paint, wait as long as they say before doing this.

There should be something in the documents that say when you can watersand or polish the last coat, or when to apply the first coat of wax, wait until then.

Good Luck,

PF

bzajdek

Seaman

The paint used was rustoleum and they don't say when you can wetsand. I have heard on this forum anywhere from one to two weeks, but this paint never really gets hard and you shouldn't really wet sand it? I don't know!

bzajdek

Seaman

thanks for the link rick, would you happen to know the address for the Mopar forum I would like to check it out. Thanks alot;)

wambs8

Seaman

I painted a car once. A dragonfly got stuck and made a trail in the paint 2 ft long trying to get free. My dad looks up at me and says, he put up one hell of a fight:).

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Same thing here - bug dragged itself across the trunk lid of a mustang I painted once. Had to repaint it.

I was just glad it died.

bzajdek

Seaman

thanks, Rick I will at least have some time for the paint to harden while I read all these threads:D