how to reinforce access panel in deck?

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
I am removing my gas tank in my bowrider due to strong fuems coming from under the deck. I wont feel comfortable unless I inspect it and change all fuel lines. My question is.........I would like to cut out a small area just big enough to remove the tank...and then use the same deck material to reinstall as it is in good shape. The tank is basically in a box between two stringers and two cross supports. My thoughts are to cut a hole very close to the edge of the surrounding stringers....and then for the reinstall, I would screw blocks, rails, supports whatever you call them to the stringers so the deck piece would have something to rest on and then screw the deck piece to the new supports.. will that work alright?.......Then I am not sure how I would fill the gaps between the decking that the saw blade left....marine caulk, 5200, fiberglass?????????? How do you guys do this?

Thanks

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: how to reinforce access panel in deck?

Sounds like what you describe will work. I would mix up some pb or use a PL Premium to fill the space. 5200 will work but it's pretty expensive. Just be sure there isn't no low spots that will create an air pocket when you glass. Then lay a layer of glass (6" wide or so) to cover the seam. I would finish by glassing over the entire area extending past the tabbed fiberglass about a foot. Be sure to sand in between each step so you have a nice smooth floor with no lips or edges.

jonesg

Admiral

Try fitting a seal. That way you can get access again without tearing up sealant. You might need to core the hatch to prevent it from twisting or sagging, no biggie.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

If you can accurately cut on the center or inside seam of the stringers, you can always fit a flange on the cutout, sort of like what makes your ski locker cover sit in place. Then it can be completely removable, maybe just tack it in place with a thin beam of PL.

Sort of like this:
IMG_0010-4.JPG

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed, I'd just use that flange material used for ski lockers...seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Great ideas.........the more I think about it, I really want to be able to access that area when ever I want....so a access panel, or hinged door, or flanged panel is the way I want to go. As for the flange idea...3questions........1) can I buy a premaid flange and just cut the wood to fit? 2) Do they make a variety of sizes in flanges? 3) I assume what you were saying about the cutting...is to cut near the stringers to a specific flange size then drop flange and center board in.....the idea of being close to the stringer would eliminate any sagging of the deck...right? Then I would somehow seal the flange and center board so rain water or hose spray would drain elsewhere.........any ideas with the sealing issue.....this will be directly over the gas tank...I want to keep that dry if possible.

Thanks

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

1) can I buy a premaid flange and just cut the wood to fit?
2) Do they make a variety of sizes in flanges?
3) I assume what you were saying about the cutting...is to cut near the stringers to a specific flange size then drop flange and center board in.....the idea of being close to the stringer would eliminate any sagging of the deck...right?

Thanks

1. No, but you can simplify the flange by just buying some angle aluminum from Hd or Lowes and cutting each corner at a 45 degree angle so it lines up nicely. No need for rounded corners using this method. Just screw one angle to the edge of the cutout and the other angle will rest above the deck.
2. I've never looked for premade flanges. You can make your own pretty easily.
3. Correct. You need to cut just inside (or directly above) the stringer in order to keep the outside deck wood from losing the support of the stringer. The flange will support the access door, so there is no issue there.

jonesg

Admiral

A poor mans seal can be made by applying 5200 to the deck lip.
Cover the mating surface of the hatch with saran wrap and press it in place for 2 days then peel the saran off.
You can buy big cartridge gun sized tubes of 5200 at home depot cheap.

Don't do this with PL construction adhesive, it sticks like stink to saran wrap.
Don't use sillycone, won't work for beans.

My deck came with a removeable glass tank hatch, its cored with plywood to keep it from flexing too much.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks....
Im going in!