How to properly dock your boat?

The Grayt 1

Seaman
We are taking the new boat out for the first time this weekend. We are going to a place where we can dock the boat and go eat for a few hours. I want to avoid scratches while being docked. We have two plastic white bumper floats. Where do you place them? Do I need more? Thanks

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to properly dock your boat?

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I just got a scratch on my new to me boat the first time out by NOT properly docking it. The two white things you are talking about are called boat fenders. I hang them on the bow and stern tie offs on the port side (if you are docking on that side). I tried to hang them so that the middle of the fender was alined with the side of the boat at the point it was sticking out the farthest. On my boat there is a rubber bead running around at that point... which should provide protection, but the dock edge may not line up with it and that is what happened to me... went under it and left a nice scratch. The fenders give you a much larger soft edge. I then tie off on those same two points to the dock. Be sure to leave a little bit of slack in the ropes so that the boat can move and not bind up as waves, wakes, etc. come and go; but not so loose that it bounces all over the place and possibly the fenders get out of place.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It all depends on the dock you're tying up to of which we have no information.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

In my boating course I was told to look at the dock and tie my fenders accordingly

I have seen some fishing boats lower then the dock- somebody had to stay in the boat and keep it from going under the docks edge

My 2 cents

JoLin

Vice Admiral

It all depends on the dock you're tying up to of which we have no information.

Precisely. Broadside to a flat bulkhead (I think that's what Convergent described)? Navy pier (pilings to the outside of the flat bulkhead)? Will you be backing into to a dock with the bow sitting between 2 pilings?

Salt or fresh water? As in, are there tide swings? How big are they?

They all require different methods, and in a couple, fenders are of marginal value. It's all about how you situate your bow, stern and spring lines.

Maybe on the first trip you'll want to closely observe how others tie up there. If it's accessible by car, take a ride beforehand and check it out. Everybody's brand new to all of it at some point :)

My .02

nlain

Commander

At home I quite often only use one fender tied to the center cleat and my dock lines are tied to the bow and aft cleat and when the lines are pulled up the boat sits off the dock the distance of the fender. With new boat I tied fenders to the center and aft cleats and dock lines to the bow and aft cleats and depending on the strange dock I may go to and the waters around I still use the center and aft cleats and lines to the bow and aft cleats, I feel better protected that way.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

never come in faster than you're prepared to hit the dock and reverse is your friend.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same anxiety this year because I have to dock the boat each time after use. The best advice is to go slow. this is my technique, I have a smaller single engine boat (18' bowrider i/o). If youre coming into the dock obviously you want to have youre fenders and lines already attached to the side your going to dock on. This is done before you make your approach. You want to approach the dock on a slight angle. Some say bow pointing in towards the dock at a 30 or 40 degree angle. Timing is everything here and once the bow is ready to hit the dock, pop her into reverse, not to much. this will stop the boat. Then pop her into neutral, turn wheel away from the dock and then pop her into forward and back into neutral quickly. This will slide the stern into the dock and you should be ready to tie her up.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Go to you tube and query in docking a boat. Some good examples there.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

How about standing off about 10 feet and lasso the dock cleats (fore and aft) then pull yer self in

Just some fun pics-

Never considered driving the car in first

Attachments

• 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 73.jpg
    73.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bad-boat-launch.jpg
    bad-boat-launch.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0

haulnazz15

Captain

If it is just a normal dock slip, I usually throw out two fenders per side and tie the front and rear cleats to the dock/pier. One fender on each sides allows the fender to act as a pivot and the stern or bow will hit the dock. A fender at the center or front and a fender at the rear allow protection for the entire side. Fenders are cheap insurance. Remember to leave a little slack in the lines in order to let the boat move with the waves.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Not enough info. Mooring can be very tricky and a half-inch error can sink a boat.

Floating docks don't count--too easy!

There are ways to tie up to use the hull shape and current to hold a boat off.

On a serious note: I have been boating will small or inexperienced children (and childish adults) a lot all my life. When I approach a dock or go along side another boat, I say "hands in your laps!" Little ones understand this. It also keeps them from trying to get off the boat early. Otherwise tiny fingers and even whole arms are at great risk.

Also the size of the boat (and conditions) determines whether you can get close enough and use the boat hook (or hands) to pull you in, or whether you need to wrap a bollard or dock cleat. It's good to designate and train, in advance, one person to be the docking assistant. The rest need to stay seated, hands in their laps.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I always let the wind push me in to wherever I'm trying to go.

No wind = slow and steady.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am fairly new at this too, but I have found that the cheap telescoping boat hook I bought is something well worth having. I also, and this was tough, drilled holes in my boat and put some very small fasteners on my boat for fenders to hang from. They are great! I put two on each side when I'm in the loading area cause I never know which side I'm going to docking. They just slip into the holders and I'm ready to go. I have one on each side of the stern and one on each side on the part of the boat this is the widest around midpoint of the boat. A fender on the very front of a bowrider is pretty much useless.

I also have ropes on the bow and one on each side of the stern ready to tie up. Put the same setup on when I'm coming into dock. Just bring it into the dock very very slow and easy and you can dock it. I have mastered the 45 degree angle and then hit reverse with the boat turned into the dock to pull the stern in pretty well. It works, but I really prefer just very very slow and easy with fenders in place better.

Just never think like driving a car. Just remember the momentum of the boat keeps it going in the same direction and when you revese it it takes a little while for the forward momentum to change. Never go faster than you are willing to hit the dock when you are nearing the dock. Once you get close use the boat hook to bring you in and to stop you if necessary.