How to prime fuel after winter / fogging

NorinRadd

Seaman Apprentice
First time owner. 1986 aq151a Had boat mechanic neighbor help me winterize but he is away down south at the moment. We fogged the carbs to clear the gas when winterizing. Now obviously is hard to start. Its trying to crank but seems like no fuel. Ive read starting fluid is bad idea.

Any help would be appreciated. I engaged the throttle back and forth probably a dozen times. Tried to crank a few times. Held it for 3-5 seconds. Nothin.

Do I just need to prime it and crank it more? Does battery maybe not have enough juice to crank?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
First time owner. 1986 aq151a Had boat mechanic neighbor help me winterize but he is away down south at the moment. We fogged the carbs to clear the gas when winterizing. Now obviously is hard to start. Its trying to crank but seems like no fuel. Ive read starting fluid is bad idea.

Any help would be appreciated. I engaged the throttle back and forth probably a dozen times. Tried to crank a few times. Held it for 3-5 seconds. Nothin.

Do I just need to prime it and crank it more? Does battery maybe not have enough juice to crank?
Carb will be dry after winter. You can verify that by pumping the throttle and seeing if accelerator pump squirts any gas in carb throat.

Normally you have to crank it a bit to get the fuel pump to refill the carb-you can dump a little gas down it it should cough. If it doesn't you have an ignition problem or maybe the kill switch is tripped. May have to do this a few times until the carb refills.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
crank for 10 seconds, let it rest for 60.

repeat (this will get the fuel pump to pull fuel and get the oil flowing in the motor

then pump the throttle and start normally.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My I/O had a long fuel line to the tank so cold starts could be difficult at times. I added a squeeze ball into the fuel line at a convenient spot so a few squeezes would fill the carb bowl and made for quicker starts.. just food for thought.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
My I/O had a long fuel line to the tank so cold starts could be difficult at times. I added a squeeze ball into the fuel line at a convenient spot so a few squeezes would fill the carb bowl and made for quicker starts.. just food for thought.....
that is not USCG or IMO approved. a squeeze ball in an I/O is a fire hazzard

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What is "Easy Access", over the Gunnel or Transom?

NorinRadd

Seaman Apprentice
Carbs are definitley getting fuel. Batteries dont seem to be putting out enough cca’s only charging yo 50%. Need new battery!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Carbs are definitley getting fuel. Batteries dont seem to be putting out enough cca’s only charging yo 50%. Need new battery!
If it has points they may need filing and setting. I have found and inexpensive spark gap tester is helpful to see if you have a good spark. Given the voltage drop during cranking you probably have no spark.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If it has points they may need filing and setting. I have found and inexpensive spark gap tester is helpful to see if you have a good spark. Given the voltage drop during cranking you probably have no spark.
great point. the AQ151 did come with points