How to prevent theft?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: How to prevent theft?

I grew up on the Ohio River. Our dock was about 300 yards from the house. My dad had a boat stolen once and here is what he did to prevent it from happening again. Plus this idea came in handy for other things as well.<br /><br />He put up a large bell on a post just before you would walk out on the dock. It had two ropes to the bell crank. One for use to get attention at the house and the other one was hidden in a piece of pipe that went up the post to the bell. The other end of the rope was fastened to the boat. He installed another bow eyelet just below the water line where it couldn't be seen. <br /><br />There were two attempts to steal the boat, and it worked well. The boat never was stolen. I really think the main deturant was when the bell would ring, dad would run out with the shotgun and unload a few rounds of rock salt toward the dock.<br /><br />Just a thought that might help.....SS

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Landmines, exploding dye canisters and those electric shock beer cans have always worked for me....

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about a chain submerged from the dock attached to inconspicuous place on the boat,perhaps to the strategically loosened drain plug "eye". <br />When they get damp after take off from the dock they might be annoyed.<br />Probably more trouble than its worth if you forget its on there.

Cadet

Cheap one time deterant:mix up your mounting bolts some with metric heads some sae.Or round off the heads with plyers,that's usually very easy for me when I don't want to. Find a well stocked hardware store,some of them have screws sloted for one way turn(tight only).You will see this is a good way to slow them when you have to take it off yourself.

Bowfin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat doesn't have to be hard to steal, just harder to steal than your neighbors. Most thefts are crimes of opportunity so don't give it to them. Do everything you can to make it difficult. Lock it, light it, take the gas hose off of the tank, anyhting you can think of that keeps it easy for you to use and difficult to steal. My Jon boat is in my fenced back yard. The trailer coupler is locked, the boat motor is chained at the transon, my gate to the fence is locked, though I miss having my old large Boxer-Bulldog that hated anybody he didn't know. he was the best deterent. If he didn't get 'em, me and my Mosberg 590 could. Never needed to break out the Mossberg, though I suspect it is different on an unlighted dock 100's of yards form your house. You can go to radio shack and get a mercury switch and rig it up to a siren and lights, though you'll have to figure out how to keep it from going falsly. Those midnight adrenaline rushes can be tough on the heart. Lets see dog-check, gun-check, locks-check, siren-check, i guess that's about it.<br /><br />Bowfin

18rabbit

Captain

This is a great thread! I'll toss in my 2-cents, too.<br /><br />All of the suggestions are pretty good, except the one for shooting at the thieves. Actually, that one sounds pretty good, too :D but the estimated cost of defending yourself from a ‘justifiable shooting’ is in the $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 range.<br /><br />Do whatever you can to protect your property but I highly suggest you do so in such a way that you can avoid the police, the DA’s office and the judicial system at all costs. True story:<br /><br />A couple of years ago a San Francisco cabbie witnessed a purse snatching. He chased the perp down with his cab, cornering the guy in an alley. He used his cab to pin the idiot against the wall and hold him while waiting for police to arrive. The police arrested the cabbie, too. The public outcry was swift, voluminous and growing! As the public’s outrage increased and after sitting in jail for a few weeks, the charges against the cabbie were dropped. But the now criminal with two broken legs sued. Eventually, that lawsuit was tossed. How was either the criminal or civil persecution of the cabbie ever allowed to go further than a simple “thank you!” ???<br /><br />I don’t think a thief with more intellect than a carrot is going to target a jon boat. Dock lights with a motion sensor, locking battery straps, bow ring (or under the seat idea is a good one) to lock to the pier. And you’re right about the dogs. If you showed up to steal the stereo, my PWD would offer you the tv, too. :)

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is why I would never live in California...In rural NC, if you wing a crook you are an instant Hero!!!