How to make a Light box for a poster

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I would like to make a light up sign for my garage of an old automobile manufacturer logo. See Below. To get an idea of how to do this, I got some thoughts from this video of this kid making a light box.

The only thing I am struggling with is how to print the image. Similar signs have the image printed right on the plexiglass. Do I print it directly on the plexiglass? How do you do that? Can print shops do that? Is there anything to watch out for?

Thanks.

Logo:

Light box:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjSnOujqZP1AhXtjYkEHeSUBSYQwqsBegQIAhAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvRNyfrN_ro&usg=AOvVaw21ihvdLzOnnnahv6LS-A9zI

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when I worked in the sign industry in college, they would paint the inverse on glass or acrylic (plexiglass) for this kind of thing. there is a specific paint that was used.

not sure if decals would work as they may block a lot of the light coming thru

southkogs

Staff member
You have two options depending on what your local sign/print shops are able to do for you: You can either print on backlit specific media and sandwich it between two sheets of plexiglass, or you can have a second surface backlit specific adhesive printed and apply that to the back of a sheet of plex for the lens. - - In either case, you'll want to experiment with something behind the graphic to diffuse the light (like the milky plex he used in the video).

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A frosted semi clear plastic sheet then apply a clear self adhesive vinal with the printed image. Be sure it has overlaminate applied to protect the image as installing to outside of plastic will hide any small bubbles underneath after application.
Cost of the printed vinal about $10 per sqf. Look for at least 350 dpi

Jimatunes

Recruit
Printing an image would be the biggest challenge because it is not difficult to add some LED lights inside it and turn them on. I wonder what the sign looks like now? Did you manage to make it the way you planned? One of my friends makes such signs to order and makes some good money. He has a big printer that prints the image for him, and he just must fix it with some glue or screws from both sides of a sign. It is not a difficult job, and he earns more than average. Sometimes people also ask him to install some LED car lights or to help choose the best brand of LED strip lights.

Last edited:

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the post. I got caught up with other projects but still plan on doing this. I’ll report back; I’ve had issue finding someone able to print the image on plexi to allow the light to shine through Evenly.