How to lift 15HP 4 Stroke off Boat

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought a new to me 2007 15 HP merc 4 Stroke with a boat and trailer. I need to remove the motor from the boat so I can remove the boat from the trailer to do some work on the bunks. The motor weighs in at over 100 Lbs and I cannot lift it off. Cannot see any lift points on the motor. Anyone out there that has done this, or knows how to do this?

DRR324

Recruit
Re: How to lift 15HP 4 Stroke off Boat

May be a stupid question, but wouldn't it be easier to put the boat in the water somewhere and work on the bunks that way? Not sure of your situation, if that isn't possible, gather a couple of friends and pick the motor off by hand, or the whole boat if it isn't too big.

64osby

Admiral

I have read where people just raise the motor and drop the whole boat on the grass. You could also support it with blocks or whatever to keep it up off the ground a little.

They say they are able to crank it right back up and on.

I have jacked my boat up on the trailer and worked on the rollers. Maybe you could get enough clearance to work on the bunks.

In the water does sound easier, but If your like me and don't have a place to put in and leave ......

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply's, I should have noted in my original post that I don't have a place to launch and leave the boat. I have been looking at making a webbing sling harness to lift the motor off and put it on my outboard stand. Will need this this fall anyway when I put the rig to bed for the winter. I use a block and tackle to take off and put on my 50 Hp mariner, but have a lift ring for it which screws into the flywheel. It works great motor is totally balanced when lifted and I can do the job myself without any help.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look under the cover there might be a lifting ring.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I don't want to sound mean, But,15 hp? How old are you? Is it a tilt trailer? Guessing aluminum boat? just dump it on the lawn. Have your buddies help You.
You are over thinking this.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda agree with duckdown on this one. 100# should be a easy lift for a average adult male. If a friend is available to help, we have been able to lift a 250# motor with just two people.

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

At 66 years old with two ruptured disks in my back lifting a 110 lb motor is just not going to happen. Most of my friends are older than me and are not active so they are no help. I have lawn launched smaller 12 foot tinnies before without a problem,so that might work to do the trailer bunks. I still have the problem of getting the motor from the lawn back to my garage and onto an engine stand in the fall and spring. If the motor had a lift ring it would be simple, so I see a lift sling fabrication job in my future. If it works well I will post pictures. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I know where your comming from. Here's a quick and easy trick. Get yourself some blocking. Lower the front of the trailer all the way down. Put the blocking under the boat at the transom on both sides and out toward the edges.

Rasie the tounge of the trailer and block the boat center of the keel where the boat is heaviest on the trailer.. about 2/3rds up works usually.

Lower the tounge back down onto the center block and your boat will be off the trailer. If you want the trailer completely out from under then just raise and lower the tounge and move the center blocking around to get past the cross members.

You can do this with any size boat. You don't need any elaborate blocking for your boat. Cinder blocks will do just fine.

SNC00023.jpg

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Usually you can purchase a lifting eye that threads onto the top of the engine and then use a motor lifter, the kind normally used to pull engines out of cars.

That's how I pulled the powerhead off my 100hp.

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

Are you sure it doesn't have a lifting eye? My 2009 15 does, it would seem that yours would. Just checking.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Are you sure it doesn't have a lifting eye? My 2009 15 does, it would seem that yours would. Just checking.

My Nissan 18 does too. These are still considered portable engines though but I can feel a big difference in the weight now that I'm in my late 50's compared to when I was 20 so I completely understand his dilema.

Not that my method is the best but when all you do is slide the trailer out, change the bunks and slide it back in, it's pretty darn simple.