How to know where to cut decking

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been through a bunch of restore projects. All of them refer to cutting out the floor to check the stringers and etc. One thing I am failing to see (or maybe its a no brainer I am missing) is how do I know where to cut without actually messing up the good stuff underneath>?

Thanks

-DrCox

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to know where to cut decking

You have to be careful to make sure you don't cut into the hull, when I cut out the deck of my 88 Four Winns I left a section of the old deck all the way around of about 3-4 inches, if you make a couple of exploratory holes you can measure the thickness of the deck. Then set your circular saw at that depth. Make sure you know where the fuel tank and any fuel lines are, before cutting. Wen I reinstalled the new deck I made a shelf under the section of the deck/hull joint that was left, I attached that with 3M 4200 and stainless screws, then I installed the new deck into that shelf.

Attachments

• ATT00007.jpg
    ATT00007.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 0
  • tank mounting.jpg
    tank mounting.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel around the edge to cut sevral out.
leaves you more of a pattern.If your checking a good boat use a 2 in hole saw and use caution.Then reinstall plug with resin/cloth.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup.....ditto doc.:) ^^^^^^^^ on lou c's post

another way....is if you have a ski locker or can see ONE of the stringers...go to an area beside the ski locker.......far enough away mot to hit the top of the stringer....ie...if you can see the stringer...measure 5 inches farther than the stringer.......

most decks are 1/2 inch deep.....so set your circ saw at 1/2 inch and cut a small hole (6 ins sq)....once you have that peice out.......you can see if the depth is correct.....be very careful to adjust the depth properly....so the saw juuuust makes the cut.

the only other thing....is look very carefully for screws and thinggs......wern you feel safe that your not cutting in to a gas or electrical line....leave a 4 or 5 inch space between the hull joint and the deck joint......that will leave a 4 or 5 inch "lip" around the perimiter of the deck area.......

i hope i explained that clearly

cheers
oops

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking about maybe drilling a small hole then using a jig saw...that way I am going slow. I dunno, might be too slow.

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

-DrCox

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a jig saw is too deep.......

i used a grinder for my first one........too slow....the circ saw will make short work of the job

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Plus when you cut the deck, you want your cuts to be as straight and square as possible, so that when you re-fit the deck, you don't have to go crazy trying to get it to line up. I replaced 2 sections of the deck each about 6 feet long, and the center section was the cover over the gas tank. I spent a lot of time measuring so that the sections would fit right and the gap around the tank hatch would be even. No carpet on the new deck so it had to look reasonably good. I forgot to mention, the forward edge of each deck section had to be cut in a curve, I used an angle grinder to cut that section, being VERY careful not to slice through the hull 'glass at that point.

It goes without saying, use protective gear, eye protection, a good particle respirator, gloves and tyvec suit. Even if you only have a thin layer of 'glass on the old deck, it will kick up plenty of dust, and you don't want that in your eyes or lungs!

Here is the end of the job---

Attachments

• Boat 1a.jpg
    Boat 1a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2a.jpg
    boat2a.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Plus when you cut the deck, you want your cuts to be as straight and square as possible, so that when you re-fit the deck, you don't have to go crazy trying to get it to line up.

BAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAA BTDT...:D.......i got so tired of putzin....i made a template after a while

It goes without saying, use protective gear, eye protection, a good particle respirator, gloves and tyvec suit. Even if you only have a thin layer of 'glass on the old deck, it will kick up plenty of dust, and you don't want that in your eyes or lungs!

Here is the end of the job---

allways safety first