How to know if it's a quality gel coat?

Decker83

Commander
I'm a backyard DIY'er. I'm no chemist or have no scientfic back ground.
When I read white papers on this material, I might as well be reading Greek. (I don't know Greek)

I'm not asking about the repair kits that or on the market today.

So how do you know what is a quality brand gel coat.

Some sell for $45.00 a gallon and some sell for $200.00 a gallon.

I would asume the higher priced would be better. Is there really that much difference in the quailty or is the price difference in the name brand.

I'm not talking about the color match type gel coat. Just plain white gel coat.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to know if it's a quality gel coat?

I KNOW NOTHING about Gelcoat but...I have been searching High and Low for answers. ondarvr has posted on other boat sites that the 943 Series of Gelcoat has been around for a long time with an excellent reputation for durability. I have NO IDEA what that is. I researched it and did not come up with much info. I sent OOPS and ondavr PM's to see if they would stop by and lend you a hand.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There are good gel coats and better gel coats, but for most of the things done here with it, just about any will work well. Plus sometimes the better the gel coat, the more difficult it is to work with.

This is the problem though, there are only a few companies that make gel coat and these companies don't sell it in less than 5 gallon pails, and they don't sell retail. The many online and local distributors buy it in larger quantities and then pour it down into gallons or smaller and may put their own name on it. They may also change suppliers from time to time, so what it comes down to is you really don't know exactly what you're buying. Sometimes the retailer will tell you who made it, and sometimes they won't or don't know.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep......that about sums it up...

the quality you need for a boat will be sold just about any where. i wouldnt worry too much. the trick is to go to a place that moves a lot of it, that way, you can be assured the stuff is fresh.

Decker83

Commander

I KNOW NOTHING about Gelcoat but...I have been searching High and Low for answers. ondarvr has posted on other boat sites that the 943 Series of Gelcoat has been around for a long time with an excellent reputation for durability. I have NO IDEA what that is. I researched it and did not come up with much info. I sent OOPS and ondavr PM's to see if they would stop by and lend you a hand.

Wood,
Thank you for your effort and time in helping me with my question. You always come up with something good. I can always count on your advice. Thanks again.
The people (like you) are the ones that make i-boats great.

There are good gel coats and better gel coats, but for most of the things done here with it, just about any will work well. Plus sometimes the better the gel coat, the more difficult it is to work with.

This is the problem though, there are only a few companies that make gel coat and these companies don't sell it in less than 5 gallon pails, and they don't sell retail. The many online and local distributors buy it in larger quantities and then pour it down into gallons or smaller and may put their own name on it. They may also change suppliers from time to time, so what it comes down to is you really don't know exactly what you're buying. Sometimes the retailer will tell you who made it, and sometimes they won't or don't know.

Ondarvr,
Thank you sir for your very informative answer. I am going the regel my tank of a boat and didn't want to spend the money for
for the higer price gelcoat if not needed. But I don't want to put all that work into it and the gelcoat not hold up.
Your answer helps me make up my mind with satisfaction I am going in the right direction.
I have read many different threads where OOPS! has spoken highly of you.

yep......that about sums it up...

the quality you need for a boat will be sold just about any where. i wouldnt worry too much. the trick is to go to a place that moves a lot of it, that way, you can be assured the stuff is fresh.

OOPS!,
Thank you sir for taking the time out of your busy day to answer my question.
I have read your thread over and over and still refer back to it. You have shared volumes of information here on i-boats.
Without it alot of us newbe's would be lost. I am very grateful that you take the time and energy to do all the post here on i-boats.
It takes alot of stress off me with your answer.

I am glad I have found i-boats and very greatful for being able to converse with such great gentleman. ^^^^^ you 3.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Also remember there is different applications for Gel ..

Tooling Gel is some of the most expensive gel. Its used for Molds where High Temp resistance is needed. They have to lam OVER the gelcoat so it needs that High temp rating for the gel to be able to withstand multiple parts without failing due to extreme temps.

Then you have Parts gel. .. Its a little less expensive than the Tooling Gel but still needs the quality to take a one off High temp without failure. The end result is in the finish which needs to withstand not only the mold build but the temps of the UV from the sun for Decades. ( still kinda expensive ).

Then you have the Repair run of the mill Gelcoat. Your going to apply this in Mils .. it just needs to hold up to the UV Sun. It does not have to go through all the high temps that go with Part or Mold making. Its just a top coat.

Hope this helps.

YD.

Decker83

Commander

Also remember there is different applications for Gel ..

Tooling Gel is some of the most expensive gel. Its used for Molds where High Temp resistance is needed. They have to lam OVER the gelcoat so it needs that High temp rating for the gel to be able to withstand multiple parts without failing due to extreme temps.

Then you have Parts gel. .. Its a little less expensive than the Tooling Gel but still needs the quality to take a one off High temp without failure. The end result is in the finish which needs to withstand not only the mold build but the temps of the UV from the sun for Decades. ( still kinda expensive ).

Then you have the Repair run of the mill Gelcoat. Your going to apply this in Mils .. it just needs to hold up to the UV Sun. It does not have to go through all the high temps that go with Part or Mold making. Its just a top coat.

Hope this helps.

YD.

Thank you kind sir for this information. It helps explain the different price stucture. I'm sure the Repair Gelcoat will work for me in the way you have described it.
I have seen many post from you and value your opinion highly.
Thanks for all your input here on i-boats.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

If you want a little more information on the pricing this is what my distruburtor explained to me.

First off ondarvr is exactly right, I buy about 90 pounds of gelcoat a week in 5 gallon pails, Now it has a short shelf life so the guys that are repacking in it pints, quarts, gallons etc are taking a risk of selling enough to move it all by the expriation time of the product therefore they have to mark it up a good bit, since they may have to trash part of it before they sell it.

Oops is correct too it finding someplace that moves alot of it. Heres a quick run down on the pricing.. Say a retailer is buying white gelcoat (black and white are the most common stocked) for $4.00 a pound, so roughly $190.00 for a 5 gallon pail and then divides it up into 1 gallon constainers, well most likely he won't get 5 full gallons so he gets 4 gallons and a few quarts cans. He has to pay for his labor to repour plus the containers and then sells the gallons for $55.00, if he sells all four within a safe time frame he's made some money, but still has the quarts to sell. Now on the other hand he sells 3 of the gallons and not the rest and time is up....he's lost money..... That help any?

CW

Decker83

Commander

Cadwelder,
Thank your sir for your very detailed explanation of the retail side of the gel coat. I would have never thought a retail supplier would break it down this way. From the amount you use in a week, you must be very experienced with gel coat.

You have rasied one question for me.. How long is the shelf life for gel coat?
I do know of a large supplier close to me that I can walk in and buy. They deal in the resin and gel and glass of all types. Alot of the cultured marble places buy from them.
I also was looking to buy from us composites.
I would think either place should be ok.
What would you think?

Thanks again for your help.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I do buy a lot of gelcoat (I manufacture a product, not allowed to say what here) self life is 3 - 4 months, but the key is how old was it when YOU got????

US composites is used by many fellow iboaters, I've bought from them too with no problems, local is always better due to shipping costs.

CW

Decker83

Commander

Thanks for your fast respone sir. I will check with the supplier to find out how old the gel coat is before buying.
Thanks again for your help.
Hope this thread may help anyone else who is looking to buy gel coat.

Decker83

Commander

Had a chance to go by the supplier this week and talk with them. They ship as a distributer all over the US and Canada.
They move alot of gel coat and bring in new gel coat weekly. Best of all they have a great price. The lowest I have found.
Can sell by the gallon or 5 gallon pail.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that sounds like comp one......great company. great gell....i have an account there.
really good resin too.

5 gallons is enough to do your whole boat.....

we never talked about what you are doing with the gell.....

how big of repair area?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

He said they sell gallons.....I buy from composites one also, but no gallons there, 5 gallons only

Decker83

Commander

I have a 1983 Deck Boat that has a very bad gel coat on it. I am going to redo the gel coat.
I know it is alot of work. I read your tread OPPS.
I have done a complete restore on a old Sketer boat I have.
I do have the equipment to spray the gel and air tools to sand it down.

Cadwelder the supplier sells it just about any way I would like to buy it I guess. They seamed to have no problems selling in gallons.
Don't have the company name in front of me but I have been able to buy the resin right off the truck bringing it in.
They move alot of supplies.
I know it's not composites one. They were called Fiberez before they changed names in the last few months.

Decker83

Commander

Got out the sales receipt and there new name is Spectra Composites.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Got out the sales receipt and there new name is Spectra Composites.

Never heard of them, they sure have a simple web site.....but hey as long as the product is good and a fair price all is well..

CW

Decker83

Commander

The sales person said a gallon is $33.00 and a 5 gallon pail is $149.00.
Can't beat the price and no shipping.