How to keep people from using your dock when you're not there?

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to keep people from using your dock when you're not there?

No trespassing sign AND
Dummy security camera and warning sign

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I previously had problems with boats being in my leased slip at the marina whenever I was ready to come in. I got tired of walking the hill leading to the bar and asking them to leave every weekend. I finally put up a private sign and no trespassing and not once has someone used my slip . My offenders claimed they did not know but it was a lift slip......"Rude"

saumon

Lieutenant

I don't know but there must be some kind of removeable dock cleats, or something home-made, that can be removed when you're away...? A dock without anything to tie on is pretty useless.

A 10 in. 1/4" flat bar on which you weld 2 short pins (1/2" x 1 1/2", with a small hole drilled near the top) 8" apart and bolted to the dock come to mind. When you arrive, you slip the cleat on the pins and secure it with lynch pins...

Last edited:

r.j.dawg

Ensign

My family had a cottage on Rice Lake when I was a kid and I remember a similar incident. Dad promptly called the OPP and 15 minutes later most were in the back of an OPP van. Never had a problem after that.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some crime scene tape and a chalk outline on the pier? :D

saumon

Lieutenant

I don't know but there must be some kind of removeable dock cleats, or something home-made, that can be removed when you're away...? A dock without anything to tie on is pretty useless.

A 10 in. 1/4" flat bar on which you weld 2 short pins (1/2" x 1 1/2", with a small hole drilled near the top) 8" apart and bolted to the dock come to mind. When you arrive, you slip the cleat on the pins and secure it with lynch pins...

Forgot to add: if there's posts it's useless, they'll simply tie to the posts...

Untie their boat. Tie yours up to the dock. Sit calmly with shotgun at the ready.

Seriously though, there is not much that you can do that is effective. Certainly put up signs that clearly indicate it is a private dock.

Last edited:

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OP, what did you do? How did you handle it?

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all for the great suggestions. Some good ideas to consider. I haven't decided yet (my fave is the police tape and chalk outline! Reminds me of that radio comedy sketch where a telemarketer calls and the guy called pretends to be homicide detective in the middle of an investigation at the location that was called).

The signage is a good idea, but my concern is that there are many similar docks on the lake and none are signed. As we are new to the area, I don't want to stick out like a snob. At the same time, I can't have people using my stuff and dmaging it when I'm not there.

Unfortuatly, removable cleats won't work because they can just tie to the posts. In fact, the offender did just that and that is what damaged the dock (pulled the posts loose with the big boat) .

I will probably try to come up with a semi-subtle way to make the dock a hassle to use - like a couple of bars padlocked down that protrude from the middle of the dock sides where one would tie up.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a leaf out of the auto parking....
Illegal docking of boats on this private property may result in the vessel being towed or made immobile.
Then I would hope they are good swimmers.
Seriously I would have thought that a Posted Notice stating clearly that it is Private Property and that Trespassers will be reported to the Police should be enough to get them to move on somewhere else.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I too like the crime scene idea and add a sign saying "last unauthorized trespasser" in the chalk outline.

Seriously, what I would do is construct a nice looking sign, not one of the red and black eye sores. Take some of your scrap ply from the deck/transom rebuild and create a nice looking framed sign with raised wood letters with your last name or something such as "The BillaVista's" would immediately let others know it's private without saying it directly or seeming snobish.

ZacUSNYR

Cadet

My father in law got sued from someone tripping on their dock who should not have been on their dock, it went to court, was asked if he had a do not trespass sign. He did not. He lost the case for nearly $15k.

He put up a no trespassing sign and then got in trouble with the state association - since you can't put up no trespassing signs on the technically state land.

Figure that one out.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I think a "Private Dock" sign accompanied with a "This property protected by Smith and Wesson" sign will do the trick.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

It really bugs me. I went to the lake house yesterday and found 4 wheeler tracks all over the back yard and on the beach. Can't use the place as much as I want and other people use it unwelcome. Wish I could set landmines. Its out in the woods and the Sheriff's Office can't really help because its deep woods and they only have so much man power to cover the county.