How to Install Zodiac Inner Valve System?

MaxVon

Cadet
Okay, I screwed up. I was inflating my Zodiac CFR 285 and removed the pump hose to hear a hissing sound. I then screwed the outer cap on (more than a 1/4 turn as stated in the manual.Always read the manual first!) and proceeded to turn it until the inner valve system came out with the cap. I've tried to screw the inner valve back in with no success. What is the trick? Special tool? Left hand thread? Help!
I used the search tool and found no help.
Thanks,
Max

Attachments

• Zodiac Valve.jpg
    Zodiac Valve.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: How to Install Zodiac Inner Valve System?

Hi Max,

It does require a special tool, but you can fabricate one pretty easy yourself. Get a deep well socket that will fit around the green button, but inside the threads of the valve. Grind or drill out two slots on opposite sides of the socket. You'll use that to screw the valve in and tighten it. Before you insert the valve, tuck the diaphragm up into the inner valve housing so the whole thing goes into the boat easily. Use a screwdriver to punch it back out once you get the valve installed.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a little confused here. On my zodiac if you insert the cap and turn clockwise it screws the valve body in, tightening it. The valve body is not removed by making a clockwise turn. I have twisted too hard and far when removing the cap and the valve body has started to unscrew counterclockwise. Just re inserting the cap and turning clockwise tightened it right back up. Could it be that you were not turning the cap in the right direction when you loosened the valve body? A very simple mistake to make. Are you threading the valve body in while turning the correct direction? If you can't thread the valve body back in you should carefully inspect the threads to see if they have been damaged. Otherwise I can't see why you should have a problem with re inserting the valve body. I just use the cap with it's "keyed" end to manipulate the valve body. I wouldn't expect to need a special tool unless the inner valve body was frozen in place. I suppose the newer zodiacs might be different, but the attachment you included sure looks the same. Here is a link to an exploded parts diagram. http://www.westportmarina.com/zodiac/ZodValveParts.html

The only other thing I can think of to check is whether the rubber flap on the bottom of the valve is interfering with the threads as you try to screw the valve body in. Make sure it is not damaged, deformed or overhanging the edge.

Drowned Rat

Captain

You're right nb, I just like using the tool to tighten it because if you use the cap, sometimes you can't unscrew the cap without the body coming back out.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dr, if my cap was capturing the valve body that tightly I would sand a little off the key at the bottom so it didn't bind up on the inner valve. I doubt that you would have any problem, but anyone without some prior experience should be cautious about using a metal tool to install the plastic insert. Over torquing the inner valve body could easily damage the threads or break the valve. I still think MV loosened the valve insert by turning the cap counterclockwise rather than clockwise. Been there, done that! Had an issue in Mexico where one of my boating partners did this unbeknowst to me. Thought someone had hooked the tube and was looking for the leak. Couldn't hear the leak, but turning the cap and tightening the valve insert did the trick. MV, the valve without the cap is expected to leak a little, the cap seals the assembly completely. I have assisted a number of inflatable owners who were distressed by the valve "leaking" and kept trying to fix it.

MaxVon

Cadet

Thanks Guys!
NB, your right. I first turned the valve cap clockwise until it wouldn't turn any further and then turned counter clockwise thus extracting the inner valve assembly.
DR, thanks for the tool suggestion. I'll take another go at installing it. I think the seal at the bottom may be blocking the threads starting. There is no damage to the threads on the boat or the valve. I'm just being super cautious as I've had past experiences where I didn't ask and totally "screwed the pooch" so to speak.
I work on high end cars as a hobby and the trick with most makes is to know the "secret methods or tools" so I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something here.
I appreciate the help guys! Great forum.

MaxVon

Cadet

Success!
Turns out I wasn't pushing the rubber seal into the boat far enough for the threads to catch. I was being too gentle with my "virgin" Zodiac!
Now to see if she holds air for a few days...stay tuned.
Thanks again,
Max

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Way cool! Always good when you worry about something and it turns out to be less of a problem than you thought. Remember, temp makes a huuuge difference in tube pressure. When I first bought my zodiac I was crushed to see the tubes "deflated" in my garage a couple of days later. Dealing with the tube pressure in varying conditions will become second nature eventually, but it has stressed me out more than once. Also, and I quote," Loss of pressure is not unusual. (ISO 6185 standard permits a certain amount of pressure loss). Add air as necessary. If loss of pressure exceed 10mb (0.14 psi)/5 hours for bouyancy tube and 35mb (0.49 psi)/5 hours for high pressure air floors: Check airtightness of your boat." If it isn't a big deal, it isn't a big deal. Have fun and good luck! Be sure to post some pictures of your boat. We would all be stoked to see what your up to!

MaxVon

Cadet

3 Days and no leaks! I appreciate all the support and wisdom.
Here are a few pictures of the boat. I'm tempted to buy it myself! Looks like it would be a lot of fun on the water!
All the best,
Max

Attachments

• IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 0

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... that is a nice looking inflatable. what size o/b are you going to have on it?

MaxVon

Cadet

Good question. I'm in the process of selling it for my Dad. He did have a 2hp Honda 4 stroke for tender duty but I think it's rated up to 8hp. It has the inflatable hull so I think it should handle pretty well too.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... ya 2hp to 2.5 is what i am currently looking for(water cooled). i would bet you'd want more around 5 or 6 on that nice raft. what are you trying to sell it for? is the o/b part of the package?

MaxVon

Cadet

I sold the Honda 2hp for $600. Virtually brand new no hours so the new owner got a good deal. We're looking for $1000 for the Zodiac. I'm listing it on eBay tonight with no reserve. I'll post the link for you.
Max

MaxVon

Cadet

Thanks John. I hope so too. I'd like to see it go to a good home where it'll get lots of use.

MaxVon

Cadet

Okay, one last question. I deflated the boat and packed it in the bag only to have a potential customer come by and ask to see it inflated. I proceeded to inflate it and all was well until I pulled the air hose off the starboard pontoon valve and it started hissing. I attempted to re-seat the valve by pushing in the plunger but it still leaked. I removed the valve and replaced it with a Zodiac valve I bought at West Marine and it too leaks. I removed the valve and cleaned the sealing surface on the boat and installed the original valve. Same result, hissing. Not gushing air. Just a slight hissing noise, can't feel air coming out with my hand.
Any suggestions or cures?

Thanks again guys!

Max

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

As I posted before and is listed in the zodiac manual a slight air leak before screwing on the valve caps is normal. Only the valve caps can ensure final air tightness. If you have a hissing sound after the valve cap is on then you have an issue.

MaxVon

Cadet

As I posted before and is listed in the zodiac manual a slight air leak before screwing on the valve caps is normal. Only the valve caps can ensure final air tightness. If you have a hissing sound after the valve cap is on then you have an issue.

You're right NB. I got all jacked up because the folks looking at the boat got all weird about it. I totally forgot about your earlier post. I'll explain this to future prospects. Good news! The boat met it's reserve on eBay. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120431708979

Best regards,

Max

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's great. I hope your sale finalizes. I've ended up with a couple of E-Bay auction items I didn't win because the winning bidder backed out. Think positive! Inexperienced buyers will often freak when they hear a little hissing out of an uncapped valve. They may get back to you and get all worked up the first time the tubes cool off and look deflated too! Until one gets used to the big fluctuations with temp it can be misleading. Be sure to educate your buyer a bit ...

MaxVon

Cadet

The boat is sold!
Thanks again to all you great guys for the advice and wisdom. I sold the Zodiac on eBay for $950 +$120 for shipping to California. I think they got a good deal and hope they get some good use out of it. I'm going to direct the new owners to this site so they can share their experience (hopefully a good one!).

Best to all!

Max