How To Guide: Buying a New/used Outboard

Petedacook

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 1987 Tohatsu M70A2 on a 17 ft modified Jon boat. I recently rebuilt the boat.

The engine runs good, but has left us stranded one too many times. I think it is time to retire the "Old Smokey" and get something more reliable.

My question is: How does one go about buying a new, or used engine for that matter?

I find very few outboards for sale, new or used, online when doing a search. How/where do I research what engine will be best for my application?

This is not like buying a dishwasher, or car. I am not able to find much information on who is selling engines, new or used, what price range is reasonable, what I be looking for in terms of weight, etc.

I am at a total loss for how to go about buying a new/used engine. Since I am frugal, I would like to go the used route, but siunce I am also practical, I am also all for a brand new engine.

My Tohatsu has been a great engine, and the brand has a great record and a great price, so I am leaning toward staying with Tohatsu.

I am unarmed here, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sort of depends on where you are.....

I'm pretty much in the middle of WV, and can find new or used engines online in numerous sites and "locally": some fairly close (10min), some pretty far (500mile radius) and 2 different marine dealer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To know if any OB is right for your application check what's the max HP-OB that boat can handle along number of max passengers as to start from there. Did you had great boating days with that 2 strokes 30 year oldie Tohatsu M70A2 model as currently loaded ? If so, check if there's a second hand M70C newer 2 strokes model available somewhere.

Assume newer 2 strokesTohatsu 70 HP-OB's are no longer available in USA. Other nice alternatives are the 2 strokes electronically controled TLDI versions, check the MD75 HP model. The price should be in middle of the 2 and 4 strokes OB's.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Where are you located? Here in Canada there's an endless variety of boat dealers selling new and used outboards. Then there's all the people advertising used motors online.

If yours runs well but periodically leaves you stranded, perhaps repair would be cheaper than replacement. If you buy used, be careful, you may end up with something no better than what you have.