How to get my boat and trailer a title?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How to get my boat and trailer a title?

Paint it and tell them you made it.

...let them try and prove otherwise

freddyray21

Commander

Paint it and tell them you made it.

...let them try and prove otherwise

real stupid and will only get the boat impounded at least here in Missouri. States title boats differently. Check with your local DMV and they can tell you the procedure.

mthieme

Captain

You had to throw that "legal" stipulation in there! The trailer would have been easy otherwise. Around here, a rusted out junk trailer is still worth $50 just for the paperwork. I have a collection of trailer titles I've accumulated...starting on boat titles (along with the hull plates).
One day I need to make a trip to DMV with all my trailer titles and get legal. I've been saying that for a decade, but just can't seem to find the motivation to waste a day there (which is what it will take). Only one trailer is legal (and tagged), but everything has been replaced except the VIN plate.:D

mphy98

Lieutenant

here in wisconsin the Dnr take care of this. you just need a bill of sale from the previos owner and some gold dust! $$$$$$$$$$$$ get you anything in this state:)

jcsftwre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found out how to do it!

I found out how to do it!

I got it now from the DMV web site for Washington state.

1st I have to take the ?Release of Interest? under WAC 308-56A-265 Wa. DMV states this is the bill of sale or the paperwork stating the boat was given to me.

2nd fill out the form for Junk Vehicle under WA. DMV RCW 46.55.010

3rd get issued a title & registration under RCW 46.12.075 ?Rebuilt Vehicles?

It sounds like I can do this for both the boat and trailer. After reading all of the necessary RCW?s it seems as if they both meet the requirements for abandoned/salvaged vehicle then rebuilt vehicle.

RCW 46.12.075
Rebuilt vehicles.
(1) Effective January 1, 1997, the department shall issue a unique certificate of ownership and certificate of license registration, as required by chapter 46.16 RCW, for vehicles that are rebuilt after becoming a salvage vehicle. Each certificate shall conspicuously display across its front, a word indicating that the vehicle was rebuilt.

(2) Beginning January 1, 1997, upon inspection of a salvage vehicle that has been rebuilt under RCW 46.12.030, the state patrol shall securely affix or inscribe a marking at the driver's door latch pillar indicating that the vehicle has previously been destroyed or declared a total loss.

(3) It is a class C felony for a person to remove the marking prescribed in subsection (2) of this section.

(4) The department may adopt rules as necessary to implement this section.
[1996 c 26 ? 3; 1995 c 256 ? 24.]
RCW 46.16 Rebuilt or salvage vehicles licensed in Washington must meet the requirements found under chapter 46.37 RCW to be driven upon public roadways.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

real stupid and will only get the boat impounded at least here in Missouri. States title boats differently. Check with your local DMV and they can tell you the procedure.

Ok, maybe I shouldnt be as blunt as that.

Here in CA, they will give you a home-built title without problems. The only reason they need to see the boat is to place the VIN tag onto it. so if you have a bare/primered hull, its pretty believable.

I 'made' this boat:
l_91436e63071c28350acec4046edfc8b8.jpg

this trailer:
l_44ac641c9773a343035b6abb3f3cdcf6.jpg

I have done this many many times

freddyray21

Commander

probably easier to do in California. Here in Missouri not so easy.