how to get more from my 9.9 johnny kicker??

tonyscj5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to find the right kicker for my aquasport 19-6 footer. My mechanic has two possiblilities, a 9.9 and a 20 hp. Both long shaft. I have tried both, the 20 has the power needed but seems to weight down the boat to much on one side. I dont like the weight of it. The other option is a nicer motor, has electric start, runs great, and much less weight which is nice. But... It doesn't seem to be enough juice if my big motor crapped out off shore?? It does work fine for trolling though. It pushes the boat about 5mph wide open. Doesn't seem like enough, 8mph would make me happier.<br /><br />What can i do to get more juice from the 9.9. I put what the mechanic called a sailboat prop on it, and it helped. I just need a little more.<br /><br />Maybe a 15 hp carb??? I have heard of this being done?<br /><br />thanks very much

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: how to get more from my 9.9 johnny kicker??

that extra hp isnt really going to do much to your boat. maybe 1mph faster, but i doubt it.<br /><br />youre only going to be moving at hull speed, so the extra weight of the 20 Vs. the 9.9 isnt even worth it.<br /><br />making the 9.9 into a 15 wont even be worth it, cause the money involved and time isnt going to make your boat any faster

CATransplant

Admiral

What myoutboards said. The 20 won't plane the boat, anyhow, so you're restricted to the hull speed. The 9.9 will do as well as anything else, and is a lot lighter, as you say.<br /><br />You want to troll, and you want to get home in an emergency. The 9.9 is good for both.

tonyscj5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replies. Your definetly right that neither motor will put the boat on plane, but it does seems that the 20 hp pushes the boat better. The 9.9 pushes the boat fine at trolling speed, but it is reving up high to do so. Which is fine, just kind of load.<br /><br />I guess a 15 would be ideal, but I dont have one.<br /><br />Are any other props avaliable that would help the 9.9 push slightly faster.<br /><br />the 9.9 tops the boat out at just under 5 mph on flat water, I am worried that if I was 15 miles off shore chasing tuna and the big motor died, I would have a hard time getting home on the 9.9. Especially if fighting a high wind or swell?<br /><br />what should I do? <br /><br />thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

A 9.9 is ideal for your boat. I have one and it would push a 27 1/2'er I had years ago - not fast but enough to get back to the marina.