how to get broken driveshaft out of crankshaft

muddinmike

Recruit
Working on my 78 inline 6 140 merc. Broke the splines of the drive shaft off in the crank shaft. Someone recomended putting jb weld on the end of a piece of all thread and jamming it up there, let it set. then hopefully it sticks to the little nub of drive shaft and pulls it out.

what do you guys think

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to get broken driveshaft out of crankshaft

If the shaft just broke on it`s own , that might work.
If the shaft broke from a underwater strike it may be twisted in place.
you may be able to drill a 1/4 inch hole thru the remaining section to the crankshaft, tap for a long bolt and slidehammer it out,

emckelvy

Commander

Is the end of the driveshaft actually snapped-off in the crankshaft, or are the driveshaft splines just stripped?

If the splines are stripped, there won't be anything left of the driveshaft to pull out of the crankshaft. In fact, there probably won't be anything left of the crankshaft splines, either.

If the driveshaft is busted off, you may or may not get lucky and have any splines left on the crank when you do get the busted stub pulled.

Either way, you're gonna have to pull the powerhead.

And if the driveshaft splines are stripped and you just stuff another lower unit on that motor, most likely that driveshaft will strip out too. Better to fix it right.

HTH & G'luck...........ed

muddinmike

Recruit

carrier bearing in the lower unit seized while i was running wide open throttal across the lake. so it came to a stop instantly and snapped the drive shaft off at the splines leaving the splines in the end of the crank, so the mechainc said. mechanic said with the cost of the new lower unit that it wouldnt be worth fixing and he didnt bother to try pulling the piece of driveshaft out. his cost for a new lower unit was 2500 but people on here are selling them for ~500 so im trying to fix this turd myself.

j_martin

Admiral

carrier bearing in the lower unit seized while i was running wide open throttal across the lake. so it came to a stop instantly and snapped the drive shaft off at the splines leaving the splines in the end of the crank, so the mechainc said. mechanic said with the cost of the new lower unit that it wouldnt be worth fixing and he didnt bother to try pulling the piece of driveshaft out. his cost for a new lower unit was 2500 but people on here are selling them for ~500 so im trying to fix this turd myself.

So get a book, and an engine lifting ring. Pull the power head, lay it on a bench, and have at it.

Lotsa help here.

John