How to find TDC- Harmonic Balancer came loose from pully

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: How to find TDC- Harmonic Balancer came loose from pully

I take it the engine only has a 0* pointer on the timing tab, and not timing marks? Slap your old balancer on top of the new one, mark the new balancer at the proper place for your engine's initial timing and file a light line across the balancer.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To the o/p
You might want to invest a little more research into your balance'r change out. As far as i know all 4.3's are external balanced. This happened about the same time GM swapped the 350 to a one piece rear main and stayed with a neutral balance front dampener but an external balanced flywheel at the rear. There are some common parts in the 5.7/4.3 combinations not sure if the balancers are the same.
The 4.3 has some balance problems to begin with, that's why they added the balance shaft. You sure don't want to run it with the wrong balancer. Compare your old and new balance'rs very carefully as far as weight pads or lightning holes.

You can start here

http://www.hotsixes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=12

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes the part is made in China, it's says so right on the box. I made a comment about this to the counter clerk and he said even if I paid more money for the GM part, there is no guarantee that's not made in China as well.

The difference in OEM and the cheap aftermarket parts is the quality control requirements. OEM says this must meet the specs in our agreement, the cheap stuff is what OEM scraps. Both still come from the same supplier.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

View attachment 138560

OK...I get it now. I don't know how or when this happened. I pulled the motor to fix the transom, but when I pulled the motor the boat was running fine. The only reason I had to tear the motor down was because my F*** risers/manifolds failed while it was sitting idle in the garage for a year allowing rusty water into the back two cylinders. This baffles me how this could have come apart and the rubber that goes between the hub and ring is nowhere to be found. What causes this to happen? This seem like an unusual thing to wear out? They are going for about $60.00 used and $150.00 new. Should I steer clear of a used one? Also, can I use the same harmonic balancer that is used on a 5.7 L small block? Essentially they are the same motor as the 4.3L with two extra pistons?

did you use a 3-jaw puller to remove it, or did you use a proper damper puller?

no, the damper weights between the 4.3 and 5.7 are different.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good idea...exactly what I was thinking.

I take it the engine only has a 0* pointer on the timing tab, and not timing marks? Slap your old balancer on top of the new one, mark the new balancer at the proper place for your engine's initial timing and file a light line across the balancer.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To the o/p
You might want to invest a little more research into your balance'r change out. As far as i know all 4.3's are external balanced. This happened about the same time GM swapped the 350 to a one piece rear main and stayed with a neutral balance front dampener but an external balanced flywheel at the rear. There are some common parts in the 5.7/4.3 combinations not sure if the balancers are the same.
The 4.3 has some balance problems to begin with, that's why they added the balance shaft. You sure don't want to run it with the wrong balancer. Compare your old and new balance'rs very carefully as far as weight pads or lightning holes.

You can start here

http://www.hotsixes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=12

I don't need to do anymore research. The part that's on the boat now is exactly what came off the boat. It is exactly the same physical dimensions and the same weight. It is also symetrically balanced just like the one I took off. It also has the timing mark 10 degrees off from the key way, also just like the original. What else is there that can possibly be different? They are the same part. One cost $52.00 and one cost closer to $200.00.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you use a 3-jaw puller to remove it, or did you use a proper damper puller?

no, the damper weights between the 4.3 and 5.7 are different.

I used a damper pully. I rented it for free from Autozone. Like I have mentioned the weight of the one that came off was 8.3 Lb and the one I replaced it with was also 8.3 Lb.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't need to do anymore research. The part that's on the boat now is exactly what came off the boat. It is exactly the same physical dimensions and the same weight. It is also symetrically balanced just like the one I took off. It also has the timing mark 10 degrees off from the key way, also just like the original. What else is there that can possibly be different? They are the same part. One cost $52.00 and one cost closer to $200.00.

對不起,隻不過是想提供幫助。 很高興你計算出來。 :)

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If that china one comes apart on you a GM part can be had for $60.00- $70.00 not $200.00
Hopefully the GM ones are not coming from china, these days who knows.

kpiazzisi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep, not to get too political but we need to find a way to build things in this country again and be competitive.