how to find serial #,,,, is this the number?

diamondlangus

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
35
I have an old mercury outboard trolling motor a guy gave me and I am trying to figure out year and HP. I am pretty sure it is a 4 hp. It is a 1 cyl. I can't find a serial number anywhere on the outside. By the spark plug I found this number 1016-2394. On on side where the vacuum hose connects there is a number 843-2387. on the opposite side is the number 35729. I think these are just part numbers, but this is all I can find. Where else should I look? I think the motor is an early 70's or late 60's

thanks
 

diamondlangus

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
35
Re: how to find serial #,,,, is this the number?

not that I can find. I thought there should be some sort of number or plate on the transom mount or the pivot area.
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: how to find serial #,,,, is this the number?

Look on the top of the engine block next to the exhaust cover it's a 7 digit #
 

alloycowboy

Cadet
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
20
Re: how to find serial #,,,, is this the number?

Thats where mine was on the pivot. Im not too sure where else to look. Sorry
 

diamondlangus

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
35
Re: how to find serial #,,,, is this the number?

Laddies I will check that out. I just got back in from looking at it again and I found where the plate used to be riveted on on the pivot point so I will try Laddies spot next.
 
Top