How to fill the void

Just a quick question about floor replacement, I have researched this site and still am not clear on what is used to fill the gap between a new floor and the small amount of existing floor at the wall or hull? I plan on using the old floor as a template when cutting the new but still expect some void, maybe as much as 3/8 inch or so, I was thinking of using a caulk but think a hard finish seal would be better

crab bait

Captain
Re: How to fill the void

your not gone to like this answer .. but it's how it's done..<br /><br />that 'floor/hull' joint is very critical.. it keeps it all in place an minimizes hull flex an racking..<br /><br />gotta mix up epoxy peanutbutter i.e. epoxy an 'fillers' preferably with a good percentage of 'palvrized'/milled fiberglass power.. <br /><br />fill in the gap.. <br /><br />wait a hour an wipe off excess an slop with white rags wet with white vinegar..<br /><br />vinegar cleans up epoxy better than anythin' an it's cheap & safe..<br /><br />this time-o-year,, in pa ,, it's to cold to do..

Bondo

Staff member

As a Matter of Fact,<br />Bedding the edges of the new floor in peanutbutter is Even Better........<br />Then fill,+ smooth the top.....

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I can't vouch for others, but when I rebuilt my project, I left no old material at all. Instead, I took painstaking width measurements of the floor from transom to bow. I left no old lip, no old material. When I cut and fit my new floor peices, they butted against the sides, with no gaps. Even if I had to trim a bit, I left no gaps, and the edges did not rest on any old lip. I then used heavy roving and mat to achieve the bond from floor to sides.

Realgun

Commander

On the Bayliner I am fixing, I ground out the tops of the floor. The old wood was sitting on the hull and glassed on sides and top only. I was actually able to slip some wood out of the hull and floor joint. Poly does not grab wood at all.<br />There should be a small lip or at least an angle where the hull and floor meet. Make the floor as close as possible to size then as crab says, mix milled or ground glass with epoxy and fill the gap. I had some gaps over 1/2 inches wide and some that were 1/32". I am not too good at measuring. :) <br /><br />Once you have the floor bonded to hull you can always come back and add a little more peanut butter.<br />In my case I have a fairly smooth finish but am going to make just a bit more peanut butter and slip on the edges. Then I am going to cut my cloth 6 inces wide and glass that on edges. Then I will glass from side to side with the same cloth.<br />I will post pictures if I am not to lazy.

Realgun

Commander

As promised-<br />
ksozq
<br />This is the floor after I filled the void between floor and hull. It seems strong but the epoxy is not on top of the floor.<br />
kspef
<br />I filled and made the paste go over floor.<br />Paste is 1/8" milled glass fiber 9oz of 2:1 epoxy and 10 oz of milled glass.<br />
kspjo
<br />The stir stick should not fall over. :) <br />
ksprp
<br />I have placed the glass cloth from side to side over the 45 minute epoxy. The glass cloth stuck on the underside of the cloth making it easier to glass in place. The floor edge is very very smooth and I believe strong and water resistant!

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to hijack a thread .. but super nice looking job realgun ! still drillin the dern rivits out to pop the top here, I have floor envy !