how to check reeds?

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
got a v200 motor (v225 block) the motor was in a fire . I have replace entire electrical system (stator trigger switchboxes harness) new gas lines new bleeder hoses the works . I rebuilt carbs fuel pump etc. I cranked it up the engine fired first time It didn't want to run right at low rpms it was pushing gas through the carbs, but at med to high rpms it ran great. I pulled the carbs they look fine pulled the intake to look at reeds . I refered to my clymers manual(45hp-225hp 1972-1989) on how to check them page 220 it was pretty vague it says if the gap is more than 0.020 to replace the reeds mine are closed with zero clearance. is this ok it also says that reed stop clearance should be 0.300. when I pulled the intake it dumped a half gallon of gas . I have the 10 pedal vertical reeds. also if anyone has this same manual look at page 244 figure 109,110 and page246 figure 114, 115 they do not know the difference between vertical and horizontal.

Laddies

Banned
Re: how to check reeds?

Zero clearance on the reed as great, on some V/6 engines you need to test the inlet needles to 6 or 8 lbs pressure with the bowls off so you can see if the fuel level is right

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how to check reeds?

The stator I used was a rapair It has a built in voltage regulator . After a little research I found out that a bad rectifer would cause this particular stator to act crazy at low end. replaced the rectifer It now runs great.