how to check for dry rott

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am about ready to start rebuilding the interior of my 58 dorsett eldorado. Before I do this I want to be certain the hull is sound. Is there an easy way to check a fiberglass hull for "dry rott". I am thinking of using a rubber mallot and just giving it a light thumb in a tight grid pattern. I figure that it will be easier to fix it now, while it is upside down on the horses. It doesen't look like there is any soft spots but looks can be decieving. I will be replacing the floor inside as well as the transom and with these there is plenty if help here but I haven't seen anything as far as checking for outside dryrott. Thanks.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: how to check for dry rott

In most all fiberglass boats wood is used only for the floor, stringers and transom. There isn't much else to check. Fiberglass by itself does not rot.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's right. However if you have delamination (separations of glass layers) or a hole somewhere where water could have gotten in and frozen, you'll have to fix that, obviously. But at the age of your boat you are probably save from stuctual mfg defects. Not did they sandwich or core hulls back then, sans transoms. You can do a hammer peck all over, make you feel better.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not to familiar with the terminoligy you are using. Is what you are saying is that the shell is basicly one piece and not layered or is mine the oposite, layered and not one piece. Thanks.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good reading on hull construction,etc In the era of your boat I would think they either did the chopper gun or hand lay-up. I would venture to guess your hull is fine unless there is some obvious damage from external forces. i.e. bullet holes
stupid.gif

You might go here and ask about your Dorsett.