How to check coils on a 1973 Eska 9.5

Just Bill

Cadet
I am having no spark issues on my 1973 Eska 9.5 outboard and need to know how to hook up my meter to each coil. Should they be removed from the block? I know it requires checking the resistance ( ohms ) and I also need to know the correct reading for a good coil. I have owned this motor since 1973 and have never had a issue until now. I feel very lucky about that!

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
They need removed and there are a bunch of videos showing how to ohm test on the web. Same with the condensers since Im assuming its a points motor not SSI.
1626905563580.png

Just Bill

Cadet
Good morning brim buster,
Thank you for responding to my post. I did not note on my posting all the information one would need. My electrical system is a SSI, that is a problem because very few people have ESKA outboards with this system. It is a good system at least it has provided me with nearly 48 years of pleasure. My motor is a 1973 ESKA, model 1925A, serial # 3C290629, 9.5 HP, and does have the solid state ignition system. The coils have only the spark plug wire with the boot attached and a electrical " push on" contact for the wire coming from the stator ( magneto ). From what I understand my problem is likely coil or stator issues. The coils look like a good starting point. I will review those YOU TUBE postings, but I believe I have already looked at them but of course nothing specific to my problem.
Thank you,
Just Bill

Just Bill

Cadet
Good morning again brim buster,
An update !
Just found if you ask the correct question of any body or thing you likely will find the answer. I started my search on You Tube and changed my inquiry. I found a fantastic area I never knew existed. Check out on You Tube " coil and stator outboard issues " and I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. Need to run a couple of errands for my wife this morning and I will dig into this new information and will let you know what I find.
Just Bill

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you sure the SSI module is still good. Thats normally what fails.