How to Add a Wax to Poly Resin (Recipe)?

TruDaddy

Seaman
I understand that it is necessary to add a waxed poly resin as the final layer of poly in a fiberglass job. I understand there are a handful of reasons why to do this. What I don't know is best way to do it with just core ingredients.

What is the appropriate recipe of the core components?

I have the available components:
  • Polyester Resin
  • Hardener
  • Gulf Paraffin Wax
Do I need styrene?
Do I need to melt the paraffin first?
What ratios do I need to use?
Do I simply stir it together?

PVA Alternative:
  • Can I just elmer's glue?
  • Do I mix it in or spray it on?
  • If sprayed, do I thin it?
Topcoating Final Layer
  • Do I need to wipe down with acetone or sand before topcoating with a paint or other topcoat?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I quit using wax a long time ago. gel over resin and use 904 additive to the gel

I spay a coating of PVA if needed. Wait a day and wash the PVA off

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Why don't you use the wax? Just wondering.
because its a waste of time, especially if you have to repair a void or make mods. after the layup is done, next step is fairing (the fairing will cure the resin below) after the fairing is done, then gel coat. the 904 makes spraying gel easy and eliminates the need for wax.

then if there is a situation where wax may be needed. I just top-coat with PVA as stated above. then wash it off.

I did use waxed gel for the interior of the cabin bins because I was not going to go back over the area.

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
because its a waste of time, especially if you have to repair a void or make mods. after the layup is done, next step is fairing (the fairing will cure the resin below) after the fairing is done, then gel coat. the 904 makes spraying gel easy and eliminates the need for wax.

then if there is a situation where wax may be needed. I just top-coat with PVA as stated above. then wash it off.

I did use waxed gel for the interior of the cabin bins because I was not going to go back over the area.
I think I may have not been paying attention with the 904 stuff. I ended up rolling all my work since spraying wasn't a good option. Had I not coated the inside of my spray gun with PVA it would've been a goner.

flashback

Captain
That 904 sounds like awesome stuff, I sprayed a good bit of gel back in the dark ages and styrene was the only thinner available. I need to try the 904. Do you get orange peel?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That 904 sounds like awesome stuff, I sprayed a good bit of gel back in the dark ages and styrene was the only thinner available. I need to try the 904. Do you get orange peel?
A little bit, but 1000 times better than styrene and acetone. I ran out of 904 and had to spray the motor cover. It came out like crap and took almost a week of sanding

flashback

Captain
I need to give it try, I don't have anything going on at the moment but it's on my list..thx..

TruDaddy

Seaman
Thanks for the advice. I do not see the 904 available at most of the places around me. Is there an online source?