How things have changed

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This was in Housekeeping monthly from May 13th 1955<br /><br /><br />The Good Wife's Guide<br /><br />*Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, ON Time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs . Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of a warm welcome needed.<br /><br />*Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so ya'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with alot of work weary people.<br /><br />*Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your Duties is to provide it. LMAO<br /><br />*Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.<br /><br />*Gather up the schoolbooks,toys,paper etc and then run a dust cloth over the tables.<br /><br />*Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift to. after all catering for His omfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.<br /><br />*Be Happy to see him.<br /><br />*Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.<br /><br />*Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time . Let him talk first, remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.<br /><br />*make the evening his, Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment with out you. Instead try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be home and relax.<br /><br />*Your goal: Try to make sure that the home is a place of peace , order and tranqullity where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.<br /><br />*Don't greet him with Complaints and problems.<br /><br />*Don't complain if he is late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.<br /><br />*Make him comfortable. have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool drink ready for him.<br /><br />*Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment. remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have NO right to question him<br /><br />* A good wife always knows her place

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: How things have changed

Written by a Man no doubt. Does June Cleaver still exist? What's the 2005 version?

fixin

I remember it being like that at my Grandparents,they even slept in seperate beds.My Grandmother never drove a car in her life.<br />No wonder she always seemed so bitter

Carphunter

Commander

I agree, except I don't want a wife that is a little gay........................or do I? :eek:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Here's the 2005 version...<br /><br />* Screw dinner! If he can't throw a frozen entree in there and push some buttons, let him starve. This is a way of forcing him to acknowledge you. Most men just grab a beer and vedge in front of the tube when they come home and ignore their live-in girlfriends. Ignore him right back!<br /><br />* Grab the cleanest sweatshirt and jeans out of the dirty laundry pile and head out the door. He gets violent when he's tired and drinking beer.<br /><br />* Let him know how crappy your day was and make sure his is turned just as crappy. Otherwise if he wants entertainment, let him watch Seinfeld reruns.<br /><br />* Tell the kids to clear a path to the bathroom so that he can make it to the toilet so he can make room for the next beer.<br /><br />* Tell the kids to pick up their crap or you'll throw it in the trash. They should be responsible for their own stuff.<br /><br />* When it gets cold, turn the furnace up just before he gets home. Otherwise he might want to cuddle or something to keep warm. That could lead to sex and who's in the mood after all this hard work anyhow?<br /><br />* Acknowledge his existance when he comes home.<br /><br />* If you're in a good mood, don't flip him off. If your PMS is flaring, anything goes.<br /><br />* If he starts talking, say things like "uh huh" and "Go figure" so that he thinks you actually give a crap.<br /><br />* Unless it's bowling night or something, expect to be stuck with him all evening. Do your best to tolerate it.<br /><br />* Your goal: Whatever you want it to be.<br /><br />* Try to keep the comlaints to a minimum. It's not like he's going to "change" or anything and actually do anything about it.<br /><br />* If he's late, head on out with the girls. No point in hanging around alone.<br /><br />* Try to have a chair open for him to sit or he'll just sit on the junk anyhow. If he wants a cold one, he knows where the fridge is.<br /><br />* Don't question his judgement or actions. It'll just lead to another fight like last night's.<br /><br />* A good husband/boyfriend always knows his place.

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey Fixin, apparently I am 1955's version of a perfect wife! I gotta go tell the wife.....

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fixin,<br /><br />Good thing there aren't more women in DC or I'd be ducking for sure!

fixin

Wife didn't find it as interesting as I did..After I came-to,I had to take her out to lunch.I told her it just reminded me of my grandparents,she told me I better shut up.....
brick.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That was 1955. <br /><br />Most wives were stay-at-home homemakers.<br /><br />Most wives, including mine, agreed with that.<br /><br />Yes, times have changed. My son (39), poor soul, still thinks he can find "a girl just like the girl that married dear old Dad." Not having much luck. :(

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> Fixin,<br /><br />Good thing there aren't more women in DC or I'd be ducking for sure!
Ditto!<br />I'm duckin anyway.... Once Ladyfish and Bassy start throwin stuff there's sure to be collateral damage!

oddjob

Commander

* If you're in a good mood, don't flip him off. If your PMS is flaring, anything goes.
Aint that the truth...scorched earth baby!

SCO

Lieutenant

Actually, me and wife seem to both be gravitating more toward that 1955 formula as time goes on, excepting the do anything behaviors(example"Don't complain if he is late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night "). Basic consideration. Good post.

dolluper

Captain

Just like buying a car get the opitions you want and go for it hopeing it doesn't cost to much to fix when it breaks down [or you] I got a good one at least half the month the rest of the time trying to fix it .That was a nice wish list they wrote guess I'II ask Santa Clause for that next year

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Here's the 2005 version...<br /><br />* Screw dinner! If he can't throw a frozen entree in there and push some buttons, let him starve. This is a way of forcing him to acknowledge you. Most men just grab a beer and vedge in front of the tube when they come home and ignore their live-in girlfriends. Ignore him right back!<br /><br />* Grab the cleanest sweatshirt and jeans out of the dirty laundry pile and head out the door. He gets violent when he's tired and drinking beer.<br /><br />* Let him know how crappy your day was and make sure his is turned just as crappy. Otherwise if he wants entertainment, let him watch Seinfeld reruns.<br /><br />* Tell the kids to clear a path to the bathroom so that he can make it to the toilet so he can make room for the next beer.<br /><br />* Tell the kids to pick up their crap or you'll throw it in the trash. They should be responsible for their own stuff.<br /><br />* When it gets cold, turn the furnace up just before he gets home. Otherwise he might want to cuddle or something to keep warm. That could lead to sex and who's in the mood after all this hard work anyhow?<br /><br />* Acknowledge his existance when he comes home.<br /><br />* If you're in a good mood, don't flip him off. If your PMS is flaring, anything goes.<br /><br />* If he starts talking, say things like "uh huh" and "Go figure" so that he thinks you actually give a crap.<br /><br />* Unless it's bowling night or something, expect to be stuck with him all evening. Do your best to tolerate it.<br /><br />* Your goal: Whatever you want it to be.<br /><br />* Try to keep the comlaints to a minimum. It's not like he's going to "change" or anything and actually do anything about it.<br /><br />* If he's late, head on out with the girls. No point in hanging around alone.<br /><br />* Try to have a chair open for him to sit or he'll just sit on the junk anyhow. If he wants a cold one, he knows where the fridge is.<br /><br />* Don't question his judgement or actions. It'll just lead to another fight like last night's.<br /><br />* A good husband/boyfriend always knows his place.
I believe I have it figured out!!!<br /><br /><br />WBW is REALLY a woman!!!<br /><br />Hates men, and especially Bush...<br /><br />Sorry, WBW, I am not really trying to pick a fight with ya, just feeling my oats, and if you wanna dish it back at me, I can take it :)

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife refuses to work outside the home, cooks no more than twice a week, plays video games for hours at a time, and sex has became more trouble than it is worth. Any suggestions?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

LOL WBW.<br /><br />I understand that "hall sex" is quite common in the modern post liberation household.<br /><br />As I understand it works like this. You (male) pass by your mate (female?) and you exchange visual and audio communication (edit).

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Can't come up with no good comebacks FlatBottoms. Need a little more attitude adjustment. Those come in 12oz doses. ;) I figures since the original was written by a Chauvenist, the revision should be like by a Feminist.<br /><br />I was lucky as a kid. My mom is as close to June Cleaver as you get. The ex was the Anti-JC. Hmmmmm ... Anti-JC. Do ya think??? NAH! ;)