How soon can I wash and paint? Unwaxed poly resin

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am finished grinding and my fiberglass job is done ..I'd like to power wash the boat to get the remaining dust out .
Is it too soon?
Its been 24 hrs since my last layup..
All I am looking to do now is wash her down and paint the bilge..

Thanks

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How soon can I wash and paint? Unwaxed poly resin

Well I hosed her down, it doesnt look good...I think it is having a reaction or something...
but its all the glass work, some from a few weeks ago as well...its turning white colored.
I hope this is normal, but I dont think so

oops!

Supreme Mariner

air inhibits the cure of polyester.......while 24 hours is good......i would wait 72 hrs at 70 deg....

at this point i would scuff it.....and add some type of primer before you paint.......if you paint over raw resin.......you are going to look at a very rough job

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

No its not normal ..

Poly or Epoxy ?

Whats the application..and pics please :) ..

Sounds like water got in there ( there should be NO White Glass in Any Lam regardless of poly or epoxy ) ..

YD.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I put the boat in the sun for a bit this evening. It looks a little better, I have already sanded it so maybe thats why I freaked when I didnt see the clear resin anymore ???
I have a qt of Interlux Bilge Kote I will be using for the bilge.
The rermaining fresh glass work will be covered by some sort of flooring .
Thanks oops!

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No its not normal ..

Poly or Epoxy ?

Whats the application..and pics please :) ..

Sounds like water got in there ( there should be NO White Glass in Any Lam regardless of poly or epoxy ) ..

YD.
Must have just missed this one.. Its poly laminating resin ...I covered a section of deck in csm ,peanut butter to hull, taped over that seam, motor mount, combination of csm, 1708 and roven woven..
get some pics in the morn

Thanks

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is looking way better today although I am not sold that it is OK...It appears as though anywhere there was a little puddle of water it turns the glass whiteish color, as it dried it went away...
I could see where water had been running down over nite when I parked it and it drained down from the ski locker..

Attachments

• 1311263529690.jpg
    1311263529690.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1311266835450.jpg
    1311266835450.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 4

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm no expert, but from everything I've seen, it looks like there's air trapped between those layers of glass???

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Looks like a "fold/crease" in the glass ..

White should not happen when rinsing off..

Could be old wet folded glass..or just a case of not using mat with the 1708/roving ..

Surface white again..should not happen. Did you put any wax or other additives in your Lam resin ? ..

YD.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like a "fold/crease" in the glass ..

White should not happen when rinsing off..

Could be old wet folded glass..or just a case of not using mat with the 1708/roving ..

Surface white again..should not happen. Did you put any wax or other additives in your Lam resin ? ..

YD.
The only time I added anything was to make filler(PB). when I was laying down the glass it was straight resin with 1.5% mix.
the board you see on the side, that was initially covered in 1.5oz csm , i filled the gap from the board to the hull with Pb. Came back day after sanded, wiped down with acetone then layed down the strip of 1708.
The top side of the mount got a layer of 1708 then the roven...should I have had a layer of csm in between the 1708 and the roven???
The best way I can describe it , it reminds me of the kids toys that change color when water is on it.
spent the day in the sun and it looks better

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's normal for resin to turn a cloudy whitish color if it's not fully cured and water is left on the surface. Sometimes if you leave it in the sun it will clear back up again.

tubenewb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's normal for resin to turn a cloudy whitish color if it's not fully cured and water is left on the surface. Sometimes if you leave it in the sun it will clear back up again.

I hope thats what it is and that its OK ...I guess the answer if that is true to my initial question (like oops! mentioned) would have been to wait alot longer.
well I am going on the assumption that its ok, I purposely put some water on an out of the way spot to see if it would react and it did not..
fingers crossed
lesson learned, wait longer!!!!
thanks gang