How should I test the fuel pump?

Country Dirt Kid

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 13, 2018
Messages
46
I am having trouble with my 1981 20 hp mercury. I am in the process of borrowing a timing light and a compression gauge. In the meantime I want to evaluate the health of my fuel pump. How should I do that? I already replaced all of the gaskets and cleaned the inlet screen. The only thing that I did not replace is the diaphragm because that did not come with that gasket kit that I bought. So how should I test the fuel pump? Thanks
 

Alumarine

Captain
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
3,763
Often when the fuel pump is faulty the motor will run well for a few minutes at speed and then come to a stop.
If you pump the bulb as it starts to slow down and the motor starts running well then that usually indicates that the fuel pump needs rebuilding.
 

Country Dirt Kid

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 13, 2018
Messages
46
OK thank you. It definitely doesn't do that. I can run it wide open all day and it fly's. thank you
 
Top