How redneck is this sound and how safe would it be?

cin3000

Cadet
I'm a new pontoon owner (just this past Saturday) and want to get a ladder for my pontoon so we can get back in it easily after swimming. I went to our local Fleet Farm and the only ladder they have is a hook ladder that is supposed to hang over a railing. Well, pontoons don't have railings that are wide enough for these to hang over. I am not able to buy one that specifically fits my pontoon (it already has brackets in the floor) so I'm wondering if I could just use a step ladder and strap it to the pontoon??? I would wrap something around the legs so when it rests on the toons, it wouldn't be metal to metal. Does this sound crazy? I'm on a fixed income and that's why I'm looking for a CHEAP ladder.

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: How redneck is this sound and how safe would it be?

It may be redneck "cin3000", but I've seen it several times at the local sandbars. Good luck !!!

cin3000

Cadet

I should have put in my post that I want a swimming ladder, not a loading ladder.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I made a "hook" ladder work before by screwing a 2x4 about 8" away from the edge of the deck, worked fine the few times I've used it. looking to install one of those underdeck units in the off season.

bigdee

Commander

Gotta love a man with a vision and innovation...more power to ya!

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

We use an 6 ft. fiberglass step later all the time. just put it next to the open side door and climb on.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check with ********. I will add a different spin, and it is easy for me to spend your money, but I think I have seen hook ladders for pontoons new for $40. It is nearly impossible to pull yourself into a pontoon boat from the water w/o a ladder. kind of a safety issue if you accidently fall in, not to mention, cheap insurance against getting hurt too. I hope you find a solution as it will only add to your fun.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Strange....I must have mentioned the name of a competitor. Never seen that before. I was an admin for a very large online Mustang site that sold millions of $ on parts and we allowed any discussion about other vendors even complaints against the company. That way everything was transparent.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We just replaced our 2 rung ladder with a 4 rung collapsible. Its $$, but nice! ( over $100...)

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm assuming that you want a ladder to hang from the boat, not stand on the ground when you are beached. One of the problems you may run into is when someone is climbing in or out and your 'redneck' set-up comes loose and someone gets hurt. My 'toon came with a swim ladder at the stern, and I bought a 4 rung under deck for the front. Neither was 'cheap', but I'm not worried about someone falling and getting hurt...... got a few BIG friends.

Good Luck!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You can check with the big box internet retailers for pontoon boat ladders at different price points. Just "Google" pontoon boat ladders, and you'll find all you need to see.