How "P.C." is this ?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The following is a story from today's issue of one of NZ's leading newspapers. I'm curious to know whether anyone here thinks the judge's decision sounds reasonable, or whether you think this is political correctness gone mad. :eek: <br /><br />In a nutshell, a number of convicted murderers (and similar) are getting paid cash compensation because they were held for periods of time in solitary confinement.<br /> <br />
<br />04.09.2004<br />By STUART DYE <br /><br />Up to $4.5 million could be paid to 200 of the country's most dangerous criminals, based on a judge's ruling that one month under harsh conditions in solitary confinement is worth $2500. <br /><br />Murderers, armed robbers and other prisoners considered maximum security risks were among those held under Auckland Prison's Behaviour Management Regime. <br /><br />Justice Ronald Young ruled that five men were held unlawfully in a system that did not treat them with the "humanity and inherent dignity due every person". <br /><br />He awarded the five compensation totalling $130,000, ruling that $2500 a month was a "reasonable benchmark" for BMR victims. He also awarded them costs of $358,000. <br /><br />The ruling sets a precedent for about 200 other convicted criminals now planning legal action. <br /><br />Wellington lawyer Tony Ellis, who fought the original case, says the prisoners were held for an average of nine months each. <br /><br />This would mean a payout of $22,500 for each man - a total of $4.5 million. <br /><br />"These prisoners are victims of abuse by the prison system," said Mr Ellis. "It's time that system was sorted out." <br /><br />But the ruling has outraged many, who say criminals have the rights they take from their victims. <br /><br />Justice Minister Phil Goff said he found the High Court's decision "personally offensive" and would appeal. <br /><br />He is also investigating law changes to have compensation cash paid to the criminals' victims or their families. <br /><br />The Sensible Sentencing Trust said the payments were a "taxpayer-funded pig trough". <br /><br />It was absurd for the inmates to claim they had been psychologically tortured by the strict solitary confinement after the way they had treated their victims," said trust spokesman Garth McVicar. <br /><br />"They love terrorising and torturing defenceless victims, but when the tables turn they want to be protected by the law." <br /><br />Christopher Taunoa, who shot and killed Sanson publican Hugh Lynch in 1996, won the biggest payment, of $55,000, for more than two years in BMR. <br /><br />Not everyone believes the compensation is unreasonable. <br /><br />Green Party human rights spokesman Keith Locke said prisoners had the same rights as everyone else, whatever their crimes. Howard League for Penal Reform spokesman Nigel Hampton, QC, told NewstalkZB yesterday that the awards were a sign to the Corrections Department that it had to adhere to minimum standards of treatment<br />
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisp...ws&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=

aspeck

Staff member
Re: How "P.C." is this ?

VERY! (And pretty stupid also!)

crab bait

Captain

SEE..!! <br /><br />i told my mother that it can be profitable to be an ax murderer.. but nobdy will listen to me..

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My opinion, based on your pole's results ----<br />Somehow, you must replace the corrupt judges before it's too late, and NZ becomes LA's sister city.<br /><br />And that will not be easy. We are still trying. But every time we get a leader with brass ones enough to take them on, and nominate sane people for the judges' robes, the opposition who feed off the coruption BLOCK those appointments however they can. Here in the USA, it has becaome a disgusting "Catch22".

Bondo

Staff member

I see 1 Winner(Wellington lawyer Tony Ellis)...........<br />And,<br />Millions of Loosers........ <br /><br />Ayah.......<br />All those Liberals are Right........<br />Just Ask Them........<br /><br />
Zell Miller/Arnold Scharzenegger in '08<br />
Rudy/Zell............<br />Arnold is of Foreign born,+ Can Not be President.........

Ralph 123

Captain

hang 'em high!<br /><br />Why do "Human Rights" advocates always come to the aid of the criminals and ignore the victims? Why are they always on the side of the Saddams of the world and ignore the Kurds of the world? I just can't understand it!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

That judge needs his "rights" violated by those prisoners.<br /><br />This is just sad.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

Judges, like Congressmen, are above and beyond the law. They are contemporary counterparts to the feudal lords of medieval times. It is time for revolt!!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So far 16 votes and 100% agreement that this judge is out of line... <br /><br />The judge refered to the violent prisoners as "BMR victims" and ruled that they should be financially compensated.<br /><br />When I look at this sad case, I see lots of real victims and wonder how the judge intends that they will be compensated.<br /><br />1. The murder victims. In my view, getting soft on their killers only serves to cheapen the perceived value of their lives.<br /><br />2. The families and friends of the murder victims. I can only begin to imagine how this will impact on them...<br /><br />3. The prison staff. If solitary confinement is banned (and we can naturally presume that any form of violent punishment is already out of the question) how do they deal with their violent and dangerous inmates ? This could now be a very big problem....<br /><br />4. The taxpayer - the forgotten victim of every crime. The taxpayer starts shelling out right from the time of the crime...police costs, hospital & medical costs, court costs (judge & lawyer salaries!), prison costs and now - to add insult to injury....compensation (and costs!) to the the criminal !!<br /><br />And I agree with all your comments...the winner is the lawyer...we must replace these judges (but how?)...and axe murdering can be profitable Crab ;) <br /><br />I'm glad it's not just me that sees it this way.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

IMHO, these kinds of judical decrees are part and parcel of the liberal, nanny state mindset that has/is taking Western Civilization down the tubes. You accept one, you automatically get the other.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /><br />
Zell Miller/Arnold Scharzenegger in '08<br />
Rudy/Zell............<br />Arnold is of Foreign born,+ Can Not be President.........
You are correct. And Zell is a democrat (for now, anyhow). But things change. There is a concerted effort to have the laws changed to allow any citizen of the USA to be eligable for the presidency. And I'm for it. There aint no reason why not, and it is a silly handicap.

Bondo

Staff member

I Disagree..........<br /><br />I think we have Plenty of Local Talent......<br /><br />If you're going to allow Foreigners to Rule....<br />You're sounding like Kerry, Wanting the UN to run Our Foreign Policy............

Link

Rear Admiral

No Brainer<br />Some go to prison and never spend time in the hole.<br />Other keep getting into trouble while serving time and spend a lot of time in the hole.<br /><br />The Judge needs to be HUNG! Or at the very least needs to be Hung out for lunch with no pay or retirement!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with the judge that people should be treated with the "humanity and inherent dignity due every person". As a matter of fact, locking someone up at all could be viewed as inherently violating that very principle. And if you take the argument one step further, logic suggests that perhaps we should let these prisoners free.<br /><br /> I propose that not only do we let them go, but that we provide them free housing right next to Justice Ronald Youngs house. (as a matter of fact, perhaps he could host several given his strong feelings about the issue!)<br /><br />Sarcasm aside, I think that prisoners should be treated with basic "humanity and dignity" (and that there are probably more cases than we'd like to think where this is violated within some prison systems). But at the point of incarceration, alot of the rights afforded to the general population become privaleges that must be earned by prisoners. <br /><br />I know that different people will see different shades of grey as to what constitutes treating prisoners with "humanity and dignity". And if there happened to be cases where corrupt guards were abusing the use of solitary confinement as a means of unjustly punishing prisoners, fine, deal with those abuses. But this judges ruling in general, to me at least, appears to be whacko.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Dont forget this:<br />They all VOLUNTEERED to be in prison, they aint there because they are innocent are they?<br />So who cares if they suffer a little. So sad - NOT<br /><br />My thoughts, now I feel a little better for venting.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

people who are convicted of a felony have been so because they were not civil, so during incarseration they should not be afforded civil rights. if the government would make prison a more horrible place to be instead of the pansy a$$ed club meds we have now, people would possibly think more before acting. same goes for drunken driving, one offence, no licence, ever again. I know how many beers i would have before driving.0.