How much water?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lots of those 22 cube outboards here in my shed.--Easy to fix and maintain!!!--No gators in my area.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Buy a 32 gal plastic trash can to use for testing. Run the motor with water about half way up the leg. Check engine temp. at the top of the head with proper 142 degree t.stat installed -- and a fresh impeller. 160F or over is overheating (and too hot to touch). Best to get an infrared thermometer -- expect operating temp around 120-140F. Run at idle in barrel and keep the hose running or exhaust will heat up water in barrel.

7325johnsonhelp[

Seaman Apprentice
Well crap! After reading these post I decided to let the motor run in the trash can tank for a little while and see how hot she hot. She got hot! I shut it off after a couple minutes. It was way to hot to touch for any length of time and a meat thermometer, all I had, was reading 160.
So, I pulled the leg and ran the drill test on the pump. Water shot out the discharge high and hard. So I reinstalled the leg and removed the thermostat. Cranked her back up and it got really hot again so I shut her off. Keep in mind, this motor was running when put up but it has sat for probably 7 years. I did pull the plugs early on, shoot some WD-40 in the chambers, and made sure everything turned freely. I also checked the compression and got 135 bottom and 140 top, solid and steady, the pressure didn't bleed down at all. So "braintrust", what next?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did the copper water tube stay in the pump when you pulled it apart ?------Did the water tube stay in the grommet in the exhaust housing ?-----On assembly the copper water tube must be installed in the exhaust housing first.-----Sorry , I cannot look over your shoulder to see how you are working on this simple ( to me ) motor.

7325johnsonhelp[

Seaman Apprentice
It is simple. That's what bothers me. When I rebuilt the pump I replaced the grommet in the discharge. I believe the pump is working fine. I have the foot off now as I wanted to back flush through the thermostat hole into leg to make sure that passage was clear. See image.
20220928_113905.jpg
That passage seems slear. Going to check the compression again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The water tube is supposed to stay in the exhaust housing.----It usually does.-----If it comes out stuck in the pump you MUST first install it in the exhaust housing !!

7325johnsonhelp[

Seaman Apprentice
I can put it back that way when I put it back together. No big deal. It was definitely in the proper spot as I double checked through the shift connection access door when putting it back together the last several times! Compression was 142 top, 141 bottom, rock solid. There are no leaks, noise, smoke, air, anything unusual I can detect when it runs. Lots of spray out the snout with the exhaust but it is definitely getting over 150F if I let it continue to run. The exhaust spray is cool. The exhaust cover, thermostat cover, and head are getting hot. Too hot to touch for more than just a tap.

7325johnsonhelp[

Seaman Apprentice
Let me begin this post by apologizing in advance to all board members.
Racerone... you are my Obi-Wan Kenobi. Padawan is proud to report he reassembled the foot as instructed by the master of outboards. Padawan noticed the assembly felt different and the copper tube appeared to be in a different spot when observerd through the shift access door. Padawan then restarted the motor with the thermostat removed and the cover off. "This is the flow you are looking for" Padawan heard whispering softly over the pre hurricane breeze. The thermostat and cover were reinstalled, the motor restarted and the temperature remained nice and cool. Flow with the exhaust was noticeably heavier and warm.
Racerone you are the master. Your observation from my image saved my motor, money, and time. It possibly condemned an Alligator to death as well.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now go outside and let your head swell!

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
fyi there is a flushing adapter that changes out the exhaust plate just above the cavitation plate so you can use the garden hose. i do the bucket on these little over the hub lower units, but they are available. anything else will burn it up.

flashback

Captain
Let me begin this post by apologizing in advance to all board members.
Racerone... you are my Obi-Wan Kenobi. Padawan is proud to report he reassembled the foot as instructed by the master of outboards. Padawan noticed the assembly felt different and the copper tube appeared to be in a different spot when observerd through the shift access door. Padawan then restarted the motor with the thermostat removed and the cover off. "This is the flow you are looking for" Padawan heard whispering softly over the pre hurricane breeze. The thermostat and cover were reinstalled, the motor restarted and the temperature remained nice and cool. Flow with the exhaust was noticeably heavier and warm.
Racerone you are the master. Your observation from my image saved my motor, money, and time. It possibly condemned an Alligator to death as well.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now go outside and let your head swell!
He's been racing pods for a long time!

7325johnsonhelp[

Seaman Apprentice
Seems to know his stuff. I meant no offense with my attempt at humor. Regardless, would certainly like to hear his opinions. I have some skill but very little experience! I have an old Mercury 35 on a party boat and a 1980 Evinrude 225 on my first love. Both are on the restoration list.

flashback

Captain
Seems to know his stuff. I meant no offense with my attempt at humor. Regardless, would certainly like to hear his opinions. I have some skill but very little experience! I have an old Mercury 35 on a party boat and a 1980 Evinrude 225 on my first love. Both are on the restoration list.
No offense taken. And I'm sure @racerone probably enjoyed the humor as I did.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
fyi there is a flushing adapter that changes out the exhaust plate just above the cavitation plate so you can use the garden hose. i do the bucket on these little over the hub lower units, but they are available. anything else will burn it up.
can remove the cover on the opening above the plate, if present, and cut down muffs to fit (hose supply side over opening). Provides sufficient water supply running at idle speeds, as one should anyway on muffs. I have at least one of the old adapters -- think the aftermarket ones were by Tempo, and may see one now and then.