How much volts from flywheel/stator?

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,
We're trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem on our '93 DT4. No spark. We're unsure if it's the cdi, recoil starter, or ignition coil.

We tried to put a voltmeter on each, but we're unsure what voltage we should expect...anyone have any advice?

What worried us was when we put the voltmeter on the recoil starter, we didn't even got .5 volts at the MOST when we did a pull. We were thinking it should be more than .5, correct?

We're trying to troubleshoot rather than just replacing all 3 parts...

Thanks in advance to any who can help!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much volts from recoil starter?

The recoil starter is the rope start assembly. It produces no electricity and has no electrical terminals from which to measure voltage. Please be a little more specific about what you are attempting to measure.

alphadog808

Seaman Apprentice

Silvertip,
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it; we're really lost right now. Anyways, I read a bit more after posting(I'm a boat n00b) and figured out that we must(??) have a flywheel and stator under the recoil starter that provides voltage to the CDI and subsequently the ignition coil.

We're trying to figure out what electrical component/s is bad so we can replace the offending part, so we started by putting a voltmeter on what we now think is the flywheel/stator assembly. We were surprised to see that the voltage coming out when we'd pull the starter line was VERY low...we were wondering if maybe the problem might all be due to CDI(the next electrical part in line) was not getting enough voltage, hence no spark. However, we don't know how much voltage to expect from the flywheel/stator assembly...we're figuring it has to be more than 1 volt though, correct??

Assuming we can get the right voltage reading from that assembly, then we can cross that off the list of offenders and then focus on the CDI and ignition coil. THEN we'd have to ask how much voltage should be coming off the CDI...although I'm reading it's not as easy to troubleshoot a CDI as it is to replace it. Life would be easiest to work with someone who had a '93 DT4, but we can't seem to find someone in the local area with one...

Note, we've tried a new spark plug already...no dice.

Thanks again!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: How much volts from flywheel/stator?

Do you have a manual for your motor?
It will give you the steps for trouble shooting the ignition system on your motor.
What are you using to measure the voltage?
You will need a DVA meter or a adapter for your DMM to read the minimum voltages that the manual gives in the specs.

gill

Seaman Apprentice

You will need the digital voltage adaptor (DVA) for your Digital MultiMeter (DMM). The stator (capacitor charge coil) on your engine is an ungrounded coil, so you measure with your meter between black/red and green wires. your voltage should be somewhere around 100 volts give or take 50 volts. I don't have the voltage spec, but those are the voltages that I mostly see.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You will need the digital voltage adaptor (DVA) for your Digital MultiMeter (DMM). The stator (capacitor charge coil) on your engine is an ungrounded coil, so you measure with your meter between black/red and green wires. your voltage should be somewhere around 100 volts give or take 50 volts. I don't have the voltage spec, but those are the voltages that I mostly see.

DVA- Direct Voltage Adaptor

gill

Seaman Apprentice

yes, direct. thanks for the correction

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need a factory service manuel.