how much should it cost to paint a boat ???

drake835

Cadet
what should it normally cost to get a boat painted ?

it's a 89 wellcraft eclipse 233, blue and white, and I am looking to get it painted all white
I have had price's quoted from $5K-$7500 to paint the boat

is this high, or is this about right. I never had a boat painted and it just seems kind of high to me, but this is from 3 different paint shops

thanks for any advice you can offer

this is what the boat looks like now, and I want it all white

89WellcraftEclipse233027.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: how much should it cost to paint a boat ???

id say thats high........as in really high.....like wow

drake835

Cadet

thats what I was thinking too, my custom paint on my car didn't cost this much

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why would you want to paint it? Is it because you don't like the color. From the picture it looks like its in pretty good shape? I'm not sure I'd spend 5k to paint a boat that may be worth 2 or 3k (guessing that motor and everything is sound?). I think I'd just buff it out and call it a day.

drake835

Cadet

I want to paint because I don't like the blue on it, I think it would look better all white
motor runs great, and it has a brand new outdrive
interior was redone in 07', the boat is in very good condition for it's age

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I think your pricing may be high because you're not taking it to shop that does boats regularly. I got estimates in your range when I was pricing also. Normal shops just aren't setup to paint boat so the cost will always be much higher. That boat should paint for arount 2,000.00 when taken to a marine paint shop.

Rickairmedic

Commander

One other option would be to paint it yourself using the roll nd tip method for high quality ( boat paint ) you are most likely looking at around $500.00 in paint and materials and that is for top notch Interlux paints . I see that the blue you want to get rid of is mostly on the sides and not hard to get to so doing it yourself really wouldnt be that bad especially snce it looks like you also have inside storage for the boat . A good 2 part boat paint will roll and tip nicely ( have a look at the current thread on rolling and tipping ) I would do this before I would fork over that kind of money to have it done in fact I am currently doing my 70 starcraft linked at the bottom of my post with the roll roll method with Rustoleum paint and have been getting all kinds of compliments on how good it looks :D. I wouldnt paay that much to have a boat painted even if I hit the powerball LOL but then again I get satisfaction knowing I did it .

Rick

tallcanadian

Captain

Wow, it's beautiful. Why paint it?