How much RPM will it handle?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much RPM will it handle?

bond, in none case it is my intention to raise here an argumentative athmosphere even when i think you are basicly wrong in your first reply. like said i pointed out that your knowledge in real problems is massive and more than helpful and the discussion here tends to drift in a theretical region !

Bondo

Staff member

bond, in none case it is my intention to raise here an argumentative athmosphere even when i think you are basicly wrong in your first reply. like said i pointed out that your knowledge in real problems is massive and more than helpful and the discussion here tends to drift in a theretical region !

Ayuh,... That's the bottomline basis of the argument,...

My statements are based on facts, 'n based on livin' life's experiences....

Yer contentions are theories you've read about...

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Hi aerobat,
We really shouldn’t junk up BlueLightSpecial’s thread --- but I can’t resist.
I understand what you’re saying --- but ---- that engine still needs to get from 1,000 to 4,000 RPM’s and I don’t think it will have enough power to overcome prop load. A V8 engine drops 100 to 150 RPM when you put it in gear, I think the motorcycle engine would just die.
But I do agree to disagree because I’ve never tried it.

aerobat

I understand what you?re saying --- but ---- that engine still needs to get from 1,000 to 4,000 RPM?s and I don?t think it will have enough power to overcome prop load. A V8 engine drops 100 to 150 RPM when you put it in gear, I think the motorcycle engine would just die.
But I do agree to disagree because I?ve never tried it.

you of course would have to adjust lowest idle speed of the screamer to end up in the same prop shaft speed of the V8 just put in gear at 800 rpm ( 400 an the shaft) . so 4000 would be roughly just idle speed put in gear . idling at 1000rpm with a 7:1 ratio would barely turn the prop and you may be right that it just would die when you shift.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Blue light install a drive shower and have fun. A 383 that makes power up to 5500 rpm is by no mean's a Hot rod engine. Now what might center your attention on...will that dive handle the tourqe of the 383 not 6000 rpm that is your biggest concern. Some things to think about if your using vortec heads they do not shine at 6000 unles they are heavily modified...The final gearing in the drive should be at least 1.5 or lower..that is for prop sizing...And when she's together dont hammer it to much or you will probably snap the drive like a twig.

aerobat

The final gearing in the drive should be at least 1.5 or lower..that is for prop sizing..

6000 rpm with a 1.5 gearing are 4000rpm on the prop. is this not asking for severe blade tip cavitation ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You won't have problems with torque on the 280. They held up fine behind a 6 cylinder turbocharged diesel and big blocks.

Gear ratio wise, there are no 1.5 or lower ratio's for the 280. 1.61 is the best you get.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

6000 rpm with a 1.5 gearing are 4000rpm on the prop. is this not asking for severe blade tip cavitation ?

He wont make it to 6000 rpm..As per his mech 5500 and hes in a boat not a car....aside from that you will need a big prop....Hmm say 350 @ the prop..1.61...20' boat.....think 25p Now you might also see how large of a pitch you can get on that leg.

Your cuttin it close there...23

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Vo...-156-23_Propeller/561/9050/?*******=938617342

Maclin

Admiral

"....He said he could build a reliable 383, or 406, that would give the the torque I need, and spin 5500+ all day long. All on pump gas...."

THAT engine sounds way better for your boat :) me likey

(and I think 5500 will be all you need)