How much paint to buy?

techjob4u

Cadet
I was looking for paint for my 1970 16' starcraft. I was wondering if I strip the paint should I use Valspar Boat PRIMER 3094 Vinyl Wash Metal Primer, This is a special etching primer for use in a system designed for painting aluminum and steel.

If I decided to just sand it and not strip down should I use the same primer as well or just paint over existing paint after sanding?

As far as primer: How many quarts should I order, and would I do the topside as well as the bottom in the same primer or is there a special type i need for the bottom?

As far as regular paint how many quarts or gallons of topside do I need to cover the sides and back from water line up? (including top of the side walls, bow of the boat - under windshield etc)

How many quarts do i need of bottom paint to cover the bottom for a boat of 16 foot?
Can I get away with 1 gallon of topside and 1 gallon of bottom or do I need alot more?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How much paint to buy?

Ayuh,... How are you Applying it,..??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it was all the same color.....rolling it, 3 quarts would do my whole boat in Easypoxy.

techjob4u

Cadet

Rolling it.

Ok 3 quarts of top side or 3 quarts top side and a few more for the bottom coat?

What about primer if I strip to metal 3 quarts as well.

And if I just sand it should I skip priming and just roll over the old paint?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If your existing paint is in good shape I wouldn't strip it. Just scuff it up real well. Easypoxy did not require a primer in that situation and whatever you're using may not as well. "Bottom paint" is only for boats that are going to be kept in the water for extended periods of time. For trailer boats "top sides" paint is fine for everything.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I would say start by reading the directions for the product you plan to use, they should cover prep, primer, coverage, etc. If its not all on the can, then check their website.

techjob4u

Cadet

Ok that was extreamly helpful.

I dont plan on keeping her in the water and she will be in my garage most of the time on a trailer, maybe outside for a month or two if I rent a storage space for her near the dock but never in the water more then the day while in use.

Yeah my paint looks ok, just faded in some spots and more dirty its a sand tan color so it shows scuffs etc. I think I will go the easy route and sand and paint her this time around, I can always strip her down in a few years when my kids are older and can lend a hand. For now I am more worried about getting her into fishing shape and not too worried about looks, would be nice if she looked good but more focused on the interior and getting the wood redone and paint is an after thought.

Thanks guys this forum is extremely helpful to newbies like myself!

techjob4u

Cadet

Ok it looks like my boat is going to be black. I just bought 2 quarts of Easypoxy for only $33 including shipping. I was gonna go with red or tan but for $12 a can and $9 for shipping for both I decided black is ok with me, I guess it will match the bed liner splashwell.
I am sure I will need another 2 quarts now since the original color is tan. At least one more for sure but I think I would feel better if I got 2 cans. saw some additional black cans on ebay for 19$ per quart.

It was a close call they had some rustoleum in tan $45 for the gallon of top side with free shipping. But everyone seems to like Easypoxy and kept telling me to go with that so I hope I made the right choice by spending the extra $, they say you get what you pay for.

Thinking about doing the transom, and sides and bottom in black.
And maybe the top bow and top of the sides in red. Still undecided, I will see if anymore easypoxy pops up online at a deal price. Could not resist the $33 total price for 2 quarts, since its selling for that for one quart!

Now I am trying to think of ways to repair my vinyl dash, I bought a vinyl repair kit but they always look like junk when you repair them. I was thinking since I am doing it over in black, what if I just uninstalled the dash and bed linered the dash? I would keep my stuff from rolling around and would cover up the rips and tears.